PDA

View Full Version : Decompression errors

PBlais
03-30-2013, 06:54 AM
I'm getting decompression errors with ANY Setupbuilder install I run on my machine. It happens with ALL of them including Soft Velocity and Capesoft installs. Other install programs have no problem.

Mostly I can rerun them and ignore the offer to roll back and it eventually gets through. The decompression errors always are on a DLL or an EXE and always have an error number [#-200000032]

It's obviously something about my system under Win 8 though other machines don't have this problem and it seems clear there isn't anything wrong with the install files themselves.

linder
03-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Hi Paul,

You have received a buggy definition update from your anti-virus / anti-spyware vendor. This results in false-positives on your machine.

You should report this to your protection vendor.

Friedrich

linder
03-30-2013, 07:16 AM
BTW, error [#-200000032] is Windows error ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION 32 (0x20). The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

In other words, your protection software "locks" the file during the decompression process.

Friedrich

linder
03-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Two links with a similar false-positive (protection system bug) problem:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34776

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=65784&post65784

Friedrich

PBlais
04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
None of the above!

The problem stems from changing my environment variables to move the TEMP folder from C: to D: because C: is an SSD I had hoped to move the temp folder to have fewer changing writes.

Is there anything that would cause setupbuilder to not use the environment set temp folder?

linder
04-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Paul,

SetupBuilder does not make use of environment variables (because this would be bad practice). The runtime uses the standard Windows temporary folder.

BTW, you'll only get an ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION 32 (0x20) error if another program put a lock onto the file(s). Otherwise, Windows would not report it error 32.

Friedrich

PBlais
04-06-2013, 06:59 AM
Sorry but moving my TEMP and TMP environment variables from C: to D: causes ANY SetupBuilder installer to report a decompression error usually on a DLL. Sometimes I can ignore the rollback and run it again and it can complete the 2nd or 3rd time.

Since moving the TMP and TEMP environment variables back to C: ALL setup builder installers run fine. No other changes were made to the system. I ran all of Andy's Noyantis installers yesterday and they all worked. Prior to that none of them worked. Same for all the Capesoft Installers and they are packed in Safe Writer so they have to transmit perfect.

I'm at a loss to explain why this should be. OTOH, other installers (not Setupbuilder) never had the problem. The only issue I can think of is C: is an SSD and D: is not. It was why I moved the TEMP folder to reduce the temp I/O on the SSD. All the things I install usually write to a user folder for docs on C: and my Clarion folder on F: and both of those are SSD drives. With the TEMP variables back to C: installs run quite fast!

linder
04-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Paul,

It is not really a decompression error. The decompression library reports it (that's why you see a "decompression error" message) because Windows returns a ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION 32 (0x20) error code here. And this only comes up if there is a sharing violation. The decompression library itself does NOT make any use of the TEMP folder (only if it has to replace a locked file; then it decompresses to the standard Windows temporary folder).

I am afraid that I do not have more information that could be helpful :( The installation procedure did not change for 15+ years now and we have not received any similar report in all the years (and SetupBuilder powers a few million installs per day). It seems like it is a machine specific issue and I don't have any solution available for you.

I am still of the opinion that your virus scanner "locks" the files. An ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION 32 (0x20) error (especially on DLLs and EXEs) is typical for this kind of false-positive. The installer itself does not care where the TMP or TEMP folders are located.

Friedrich

linder
04-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Update: quick test on one of your consulting machines. Windows 7 SP1 (x64). "Drive C" is a Samsung 840 SSD 500GB SATA III, "Drive D" is a Seagate Momentus 750 GB HDD. TEMP and TMP user variables and system variables set to E:\TEMP. Installed five of our test installs without any problem.

Friedrich