PDA

View Full Version : Code Signing Publisher will not appear on Open File screen for windows 7

jgamalinda
07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Hello

Is there a setting to show the publisher on the Open File - Security Warning screen once the setup file is launched? I've noticed that when I run my setup file on Windows XP the initial run screen will show the Publisher Name. However, when I try to run the same file on a Windows 7 or above computer then it will not show it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

linder
07-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Hello,

This is not related to SetupBuilder and has absolutely nothing to do with your compiled setup.exe. I assume that you are using a code-signing certificate from a trusted certification authority (root trust level) and NOT your own created certificate. For example, a certificate from Comodo or VeriSign.

If you see "Unknown Publisher" on a specific machine means that the digital signature does not verify. The machine needs a Windows root certificate update ("optional" via Windows Update) or an active Internet connection. Windows has to check the validity of certificates (e.g. to detect revoked certificates). There is a list of Trusted Root Certification Authorities pushed to the computer by Windows Updates. If the publisher of your certificate is not in there (or not up-to-date) on the target computer, it won't recognize it as trusted.

BTW, you can also contact the certification authority (CA) to see if there is a problem with your certificate.

Hope this helps a bit.

Friedrich