PDA

View Full Version : Testing demo version

notlogan
08-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm just getting started. I added my files and hit test. I'm given a window telling me I have a demo version. Is there any way I can see the installation as a user will see it???

linder
08-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Hello,

SetupBuilder evaluation version is provided with an unlimited trial period. You will be able to try all its features and decide if you really like our product and want to buy it.

The evaluation version is fully functional and will allow you to try out SetupBuilder to see if it meets your needs. Please note the following restrictions:

1. You may not distribute any setup created with this evaluation version.

2. The setups you create will disable themselves after 14 days.

3. A "nag" screen is displayed in trial mode.

So the only difference is that you see the "nag" screen -- after that the installation starts as usual.

Friedrich

notlogan
08-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Thanks. I copied my executable and dll files into the destination Computer Application Folder. Then I tried to test it by hitting run. The install compiled but it didn't try to install anything. What else do I need to do? Do you have a simple tutorial anywhere that will walk me through each step of creating a simple install program?

Thanks again.

notlogan
08-21-2013, 06:30 AM
wow.....fifteen or twenty minutes after hitting the run button inside SBpro & checking the "nag" screen it looked like the install kicked off. IS A TWENTY MINUTE DELAY NORMAL? Or is that part of the demo limitation????

linder
08-21-2013, 06:38 AM
I think you are doing something wrong :) If you are interested, send your project file to support [at] lindersoft [dot] com.

There is definitely no 20 minute delay. I have never ever heard of this in 15 years <g>.

Friedrich

linder
08-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Hello,

I would suggest to download the "Examples Package" and the "Learning SetupBuilder Part I" manual.

http://www.lindersoft.com/downloads_licensed.htm

We plan to make videos available in the future.

Similar to this:

http://www.beachbunnysoftware.com/friedrich/sbintro1open/SBIntroOpen.html

Friedrich

linder
08-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks. I copied my executable and dll files into the destination Computer Application Folder. Then I tried to test it by hitting run. The install compiled but it didn't try to install anything.

Just send your project file to support [at] lindersoft [dot] com and we can tell you what you are doing wrong.

Friedrich

notlogan
08-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks. I'm going to work though your example and get a little further along. All I was trying to do was see if the .jpg files I added as Wizard Dialog banners in General Information would display. They didn't so I suppose I need actual bit map files.

linder
08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Yes, the Wizard Dialog top/side banners have to be in the BMP file format (aka bitmap image file or device independent bitmap).

Thanks for the update!

Friedrich

notlogan
08-21-2013, 09:29 AM
OK...don't know what I did but the long delay went away :)

I worked through the tutorial and it was very informative (you should include a link to that in all your demo downloads IMO).

I have a few minor issues mostly with look and feel.
I created a bitmap to use as the welcome screen. It is basically a logo with a copyright notice. I added it as the Wizard Dialog Side Banner. It displays but there are a few extra characters in the background. Also it is truncated when you exit before completion and it shows the welcome screen again.

Can you tell me the size the Side Logo and Top Logo should be in order to be displayed correctly?

Are there any other banners that can be displayed throughout the installation?

Also - I added a shortcut to the desktop. I am trying to add a custom icon to be used. When I click on the Icon File: selector folder all I can get to are locations in the destination computer. Do I have to load the icon file onto the destination computer - say in common files - in order for it to be used as the startup icon?

linder
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM
OK...don't know what I did but the long delay went away :)

Perhaps the delay was caused by the .JPG file which Windows tried to "process". :)

I worked through the tutorial and it was very informative (you should include a link to that in all your demo downloads IMO).

Thank you!

I have a few minor issues mostly with look and feel.
I created a bitmap to use as the welcome screen. It is basically a logo with a copyright notice. I added it as the Wizard Dialog Side Banner. It displays but there are a few extra characters in the background. Also it is truncated when you exit before completion and it shows the welcome screen again.

Could you please post a screenshot that shows the extra characters in the background?

Can you tell me the size the Side Logo and Top Logo should be in order to be displayed correctly?

The standard size is 164 x 314 pixels (side banner) and 55 x 55 pixels (top banner).

Are there any other banners that can be displayed throughout the installation?

No. But in a future build, it will be possible to display bitmaps in the "progress" dialog.

Also - I added a shortcut to the desktop. I am trying to add a custom icon to be used. When I click on the Icon File: selector folder all I can get to are locations in the destination computer. Do I have to load the icon file onto the destination computer - say in common files - in order for it to be used as the startup icon?

The "Browse For File..." dialog displays all files that you have in your setup. You can select one file from your project -or- you can point to a file that already exists on the target machine.

"Icon File -- [in] Enter a pathname, click Browse to select a file from your installation, or use variable substitution to build a pathname. This field specifies the icon to be used for the shortcut if you do not want to use the source file's original icon. This is helpful for assigning icons to programs that do not include icons such as DOS applications. The file can be any file that contains icons such as EXE, DLL, ICO, etc. If an icon is not assigned to the shortcut and the related program does not contain an icon, the system's default icon will be used. The full path name and icon file name (with extension) must be entered. The field will accept predefined variables."

Friedrich

notlogan
08-21-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure how to post screen shots. The bit map I'm using on the welcome screen is 465x300 px

tried to attach a zip file...

Pretty sure Setup Builder is going to work for us (although your demo lost me in the device signing/manifest phase.)......it is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the "free" installer that comes with visual studio...and you can actually get support from Lindersoft.

Thanks.

notlogan
08-21-2013, 01:35 PM
As of now I have all of my issues resolved with this first project.

The only outstanding issues involve .net & SQL Server posted in my other thread.

Thanks for the help. Your support blows away the competition. It is a main factor in going with your program.

linder
08-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Thank you so much for your kind words!!!

Friedrich

linder
08-22-2013, 01:34 AM
Hello,

As far as I can see, you are using the bitmaps on the "standard" Welcome and Finish dialogs, correct? Please don't do this because the side banner bitmap size for wizards is limited to 164 x 314 pixels.

What you can do is to create your own custom dialog (Developer Edition) with the Dialog Editor. See attached screenshots. If you are interested, I can send you the demo source codes.

Friedrich