PDA

View Full Version : Setup protect

notlogan
08-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Can you tell me more about setup protect? I looked on your web site but the information I could find was rather limited.

Can it be used to limit access to our application to a certain number of users or will I still need a 3rd party licensing tool?

Thanks.

linder
08-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Hello,

Please see the "Implementing Security" topic in the F1 Help or the Reference Manual (PDF). setupPROTECT can protect your installations.

SetupBuilder's built-in Serial-Number-Key Protection feature allows developers to add serial number functionality to the installer. The Subscription-Key Protection feature lets you quickly generate "Subscription Keys" to protect your installations and updates. This technology is well suited for software subscription services in which the end-users subscribe, for instance on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, etc. basis.

To limit access to your application to a certain number of users, you need a license protection system which works at application level (from within your own application), not installation level!

For example: http://www.siliconrealms.com/additional-info.php

Friedrich

notlogan
08-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks.

linder
08-26-2013, 07:56 AM
BTW, here is an interesting reading:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2895

Friedrich

notlogan
08-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks again. We've been talking about subscription based service for our app...

linder
08-26-2013, 08:07 AM
You are very welcome :)

Friedrich

notlogan
08-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Can I use setupPROTECT to limit the installation to a single machine?

We want to grant users a per machine license.

I generate a serial number for a user. Can that user input the same serial number to install on any number of computers?

linder
08-26-2013, 12:15 PM
No, because that is not the purpose of setupPROTECT.

This kind of license protection has to be done at application level, not installation level. And as a side note, there is no reliable way to do this. You have to create an unique machine ID (combination of CPUID, motherboard id, internal hard drive serial number, etc.) and then manage this from an online system. And good hackers crack this in under an hour :)

Friedrich