PDA

View Full Version : Sequence of operations

notlogan
08-27-2013, 07:38 AM
It appears by default the first thing setup builder does is check for requirements and installing prerequisits. Only after prerequisits are installed do you get the "Welcome" screen.

Is it possible to get a read me screen to pop before prerequisits are installed to tell the user what is happening and why additional programs are being installed?

Thanks.

linder
08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Yes, absolutely no problem. A SetupBuilder "Core PreRequisite" contains all of the logic and original vendor files (runtimes, redistributables) needed to install
distinct pieces of functionality for a product or technology framework. For example, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable, Microsoft .NET Framework
4.0, or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express. If you want, you can install the PreRequisites after all the dialogs (e.g. after the Ready to Install) dialog.

See attached screenshots. Just 'cut and paste' the "include script" and use it wherever you want (but please do NOT use it in a Loop Wizard Statement!).

Friedrich

linder
08-27-2013, 07:56 AM
And of course, you can add your own set of dialogs before or after the PreRequisites (or as part of the PreRequisite). The source code is provided (.sbi) and you can modify it if you want. Add code, modify code, remove code... :)

Friedrich

notlogan
08-27-2013, 09:12 AM
So I could add a series of dialogs somewhere near the beginning of the rt_dotnetframework34_x86_x64.sbi script similar to:

Define Wizard Dialog "#1" (DotNet PreReq)
Loop Wizard (Abort Dialog Active)
End

And somewhere I'd define the content of the (.net) dialog box?????

I just want to explain to the user what will be taking place. They may wonder why I'm installing Microsoft dll's or they may have thought they already had .net installed and want to exit to check their system or they may have rules about installing dll libraries.

notlogan
08-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Actually I modified the "ask user" text in the .net script to get what I wanted to do.

Thanks!

linder
08-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Yes, this is absolutely correct.

For example, what you could do is to replace the message box logic (see attached screenshot) with you own wizard dialog logic to display, say, a RTF file. It is all completely customizable.

Or you could add an additional dialog (displays only if the redist is required and not already available) to the serie of "standard" wizard dialogs and tell the user that a specific redistributable is required and why. You can even add a checkbox to give the user a choice. It all depends on your deployment strategy.

Friedrich

linder
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Great!

Friedrich