PDA

View Full Version : Limit number of installs

notlogan
09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Can I limit the number of times the installation program will execute?

linder
09-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Hello,

Only if you have a database system on the Internet running in the background. Similar to this: user tries to install. The installer connects to your system and checks if the limit has been reached. If this is not the case, increase the counter on your server and send back a special key-code. The installer receives the code and continues the installation process. If the limit has been reached, send an termination code that instructs the installer to exit.

IMO, it's not worth it.

Friedrich

notlogan
09-12-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks. Our application uses a common database on the user's network. There's nothing to stop them from installing a 30 day trial on one computer, them installing it on another computer 30 days later and continue running the app against the common database. I'm not sure anyone would do that but we wanted to guard against it without going to too much trouble. We could use protection plus SOLO server to activate trial copies but that adds cost to each trial installation and we're a startup without much of a budget.

linder
09-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Aha, okay. As I understand it, what you need is an application license protection system. License protection works at application level and never at installation level.

The best license protection system I know is:

http://www.siliconrealms.com/

Friedrich

notlogan
09-12-2013, 09:20 AM
I talked to those people. They are not marketing their copy protection software any more - or are in some sort of transition. They gave me a free key but I hesitate to go with a company that may be stopping support in the future.

We've used Protection Plus in the past.

linder
09-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Interesting. Is this brand new information? I know that there was a problem some months ago (and as a result, they provided free keys) but I thought they are "back" now with SoftwarePassport v9.62 for Windows (June 2013 release). Silicon Realms is part of the large "Digital River" family ("Microsoft Online Stores", etc.).

Friedrich

notlogan
09-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Can I PM you? I'll forward the email I got from them.

linder
09-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Yes, that would be great. Thanks so much!!

Friedrich

notlogan
09-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Won't let me PM you....I'll go to the main site & submit an email....

linder
09-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Okay, thank you! Or you can send it directly to friedrich [at] lindersoft [dot] com.

Thanks again!

Friedrich

linder
09-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Our Sales forwarded it to me :) Thank you!!!!!

Friedrich