PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Internet Explorer browser in use

JerryS@cat
09-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Very new to SetupBuilder so forgive newbie stupidity or lack of experience if either end up applying.

In using the Check In-use File function to determine if an instance of Internet Explorer is running on the computer, it always seems to return a value of "1" (which indicates it's running). This happens whether the IE browser is actually running or not. In using it against Google Chrome, it behaves as I expected - "0" value when not running and "1" when running. Even checking the Task Manager (Windows 7) shows me that there is no instanace of iexplore.exe running, but running the Check In-use File function against the iexplore.exe file returns a value of "1". Yes, I do have the path to the iexplore.exe program correct.

Any ideas on what might be causing this or what's the oversight on my part? Perhaps there is a better way to detect IE running besides this particular function?

linder
09-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Hi Jerry,

To see if a particular 32-bit or 64-bit application is running on the destination computer, please use the "Detect Active Application..." script function (e.g. to see if IE is running -- see attached screenshot).

The "Check In-use File..." function lets you determine whether a particular file on the destination computer is in use or not. "In use" is a system state that indicates that a file is currently being accessed by a process and can not be written. iexplore.exe is system protected and so it is always in-use <g>.

"Detect Active Application..." is what you are looking for.

Does this help?

Friedrich

JerryS@cat
09-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Absolutely, it helps. Thanks!

linder
09-12-2013, 08:10 AM
You are welcome :)

Friedrich

BruceH
09-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Very new to SetupBuilder so forgive newbie stupidity or lack of experience if either end up applying.

Welcome to the SetupBuilder community :D You will not regret it!

We switched to SetupBuilder two years ago. It's a GREAT product and customer support is AMAZING!

Bruce

notlogan
09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Let me echo Bruce's comments. We just started using Setup Builder. The program is amazing. It does everything the guys costing 10 times more does with the added benefit that you can ACTUALLY GET SUPPORT. And GREAT SUPPORT at that!.

SPerry73
09-13-2013, 02:27 AM
We are new too and we're very happy with the product because I have absolute control of the setups now. And support is the best I've ever experienced in the software industry. I reported two bugs and received an email directly from Friedrich saying that it's fixed. And for the next update they added a feature for me to be able to check if the calling process is associated with the Terminal Server console session. Currently, we have an installation base of 20,000 customers in over 25 countries. The installs work "rock solid", as expected :)

--Steve

linder
09-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Thank you so much for all your kind words, Bruce, John and Steve – much appreciated!!

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

--Helping You Build Better Installations
--SetupBuilder "point. click. ship"
--Create Windows 8 ready installations in minutes
--Official COMODO Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner