PDA

View Full Version : A referral was returned from the server error

Unregistered
09-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Hello,

first of all, thanks for a great product! Now to my question: we have received a support email from a large corporate customer. They are getting "A referral was returned from the server" errors when they start our setup on their machines. Do you know what causes this?

Thank you!

Marco from Italy

linder
09-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Marco,

Yes, I know what is going on. You did not code-sign your installs and your customer has the "User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated" security policy enabled on their modern UAC-aware operating systems (that is: Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2).

The User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated policy setting enforces public key infrastructure (PKI) signature checks for any interactive applications that request elevation of privilege. Enterprise administrators can control which applications are allowed to run by adding certificates to the Trusted Publishers certificate store on local computers.

Solution: Code-sign your install/uninstall and you are done :)

Does this help?

Friedrich

Unregistered
09-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Solution: Code-sign your install/uninstall and you are done :)

You are so correct! I forgot to code-sign the installer :( Thanks a million for your support on a Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marco from Italy

P.S. How can I register to this forum? My license login does not work. Can I ask you to send me the login?

MPadova
09-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Everything is working fine now, thank you :)

Marco from Italy

linder
09-16-2013, 07:03 AM
You are welcome :)

Friedrich