PDA

View Full Version : wucheck and runonce

steve@trimpos.net
10-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I am trying to create a pre-setup system that will always be updated. I have it so the first time the customer runs the system it asks a few questions, sets the computer name, shares some folders then sets a new flag in the runonce section of the registry that checks for the latest version. No matter what I try I cannot get the wucheck.exe to work in the runonce section. Windows simply seems to ignore it and just deletes the string. I can run the wucheck manually and it work fine. Is this something that is even possible?

linder
10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Hello,

What is wucheck.exe supposed to do in your case? BTW, the RunOnce key contains the name of a program to run when the computer starts. It is deleted before the command line is run (it only runs 1 time!).

Friedrich

steve@trimpos.net
10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
I just wish to have it go out and check to see if there is a new upgrade available. Our computer manufacturer has a special line with our software on it. Although revision updates are handled while the software is running major upgrades require updating files. We would like to have it go out and check for any new versions when the customer first turns on the station. The wucheck runs fine when I run it manually but will not work using the runonce feature.

linder
10-08-2013, 02:01 AM
All versions of Windows support the "RunOnce Technology", which can be used to specify commands that the system will execute one time (e.g. to reboot Windows and then continue with an installation process) and then delete. Windows executes the command stored under the RunOnce key and then removes the key. This technology is not intended to check for updates on a regular basis.

BTW, wucheck.exe can be used to check for updates / apply updates. But it requires command line paramaters (see attached screenshot).

Friedrich

steve@trimpos.net
10-08-2013, 07:41 AM
I only want windows to check for the update one time. Maybe I am not explaining correct. We have both version and revision updates. revision updates never contain file changes and are handled by our software running wucheck.exe every time it is started up. Version updates include changes to files and can only be run manually to ensure that the customer has time as the file updating could take some time.

When the customer orders equipment the first thing that happens when they turn it on, is it runs a little install created with setupbuilder (using the runonce command) that asks the customer a few questions then sets the computer name creats a shortcut, shares the correct folders, creates a new runonce key and reboots.

The new runonce key should check for the latest version and download and run if there is one. I have created a new productid for this just to check for updates on that equipment.

Although I can run the wucheck manually and it works, Windows seems to ignore it in the runonce section.

steve@trimpos.net
10-08-2013, 08:12 AM
I have it working now. I created a batch file that ran the wucheck and put the batch file under runonce.

linder
10-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Steve,

Aha, okay. I understand. What exactly did you specify in the RunOnce key? And when you run the very same wucheck.exe manually (how do you do this, from the command line with a command line switch?) then it detects the update and downloads/installs it?

Friedrich

steve@trimpos.net
10-08-2013, 02:28 PM
I created a new productgui that I use just for the updates. If there is an update it downloads and installs it with the regular productgui that we use for revision changes. I created a batch file that has the command line switches in it. It amazes me how powerful your product is. I completely setup a computer with a new name, shared all the folders, and downloaded/installed the latest version all with the setupbuilder.