PDA

View Full Version : Trying to create a countdown timer custom dialog

cnkinsd
10-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi,

Like the product so far...
I am trying to create a custom dialog that displays a countdown timer and updates the progress control automatically. Similar to the example dialog8 in Custom Dialog Demo 1.sb8 except without the need to click something. The updating should happen similar to Dialog 1.sb8 in the examples. Additionally I need custom buttons to be displayed so the progress dialog is not sufficient since I cannot add buttons to the dialog.

So far, I can get it to update once, then not again after that. Is this even possible without some sort of user intervention?

What I am trying to do is create a popup that has a pre-determined lifetime, say 5 minutes, before the install cancels automatically when the timer runs out, unless the user clicks an Install button before the timer runs out. The progress bar showing the time elapsed is ideal for what we need, or even a countdown time, "you have **.** minutes left before exit..."

Again, is this even possible to do? Any advice or hints would be a great help!

Thank you
Kel

linder
10-12-2013, 04:42 AM
Kel,

I have to check a few things before answering this question. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

--Helping You Build Better Installations
--SetupBuilder "point. click. ship"
--Create Windows 8 ready installations in minutes
--Official COMODO Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

linder
10-13-2013, 02:21 AM
In the current V8.0 the "timer" can't be handled in custom dialogs. We are doing some Research and Development right now to see if we can add it to the soon coming V8.1. We like the idea very much.

Friedrich

linder
10-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Kel,

Thank you again for the interesting idea. I believe we found a solution (a brand new feature) on how to handle this scenario. Regression testing is in-progress.

I'll post more information soon...

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com

linder
10-14-2013, 04:43 AM
Kel,

We have enhanced the SetupBuilder 8 installer runtime/compiler and added some new functions based on your idea. There is a new EVENT:ONTIMER option now in the Custom Wizard Dialog Properties to handle your scenario.

If you are interested, please download the following file (compiled with the latest internal SetupBuilder 8.1.) and see the attached screenshots.

http://www.lindersoft.com/projects/CountdownTimer.zip

The soon coming SetupBuilder 8.1 lets you create a custom dialog that displays a countdown timer and updates the progress control automatically. The above demo displays a "You have **.** minutes left before exit..." text and updates the progress bar. If the user clicks "Start Installation Now" then the installer will continue (start). If the Countdown Timer reaches zero, the application terminates. BTW, the demo will not do anything -- it's just a 'quick and dirty' example.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com

MCooker66
10-14-2013, 05:03 AM
There is a new EVENT:ONTIMER option now in the Custom Wizard Dialog Properties to handle your scenario.

Now that's a cool new feature. It's absolutely amazing what you guys do!

Mike

PAULWILLIAMS
10-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Friedrich,

This is a very powerful new feature! I can think of a million useful things I could use that for......... Will this be available in SetupBuilder 8.1 or a later release?

PAUL WILLIAMS
Developer of Governmental Solutions

PAULWILLIAMS
10-14-2013, 06:37 AM
In the script, I see FUNCTION:Percentage and FUNCTION:Convert seconds into "HH:MM:SS" which are not available in my SB version. Are these new functions or already available in my 8.0?

I'm so very excited and looking forward to V8.1 :) This is a new killer feature.

PAUL WILLIAMS

linder
10-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Thank you, Paul :)

Yes, the new EVENT:ONTIMER option will be available in SetupBuilder 8.1.

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com

linder
10-14-2013, 06:42 AM
I share your excitement :)

Yes, the above mentioned functions will be available in SetupBuilder 8.1.

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com

MJonas77
10-14-2013, 06:54 AM
I NEED THIS TODAY :-)

No, joking apart, this is a wonderful new feature. I will definitely use it in our projects.

Martin

ArthurVail
10-14-2013, 07:52 AM
As usual, the Lindersoft team is very responsive to feature requests. This EVENT:ONTIMER feature is a very good addition.

We switched over to SetupBuilder quite some time ago and we did not regret it for a second.

Keep up the great work!!

linder
10-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Thank you, Arthur.

Friedrich

linder
10-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Thank you, Mike!

linder
10-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Thank you, Martin. The wait will come to an end soon ;)

Friedrich

cnkinsd
10-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Friedrich,

Thank you for your most professional handling of this request. The new timer event will be a GREAT addition to an already wonderful product, making it more powerful and a much better fit for our new solution for packaging and redistribution of software.

This is a truly great product. Thank you

Kel

linder
10-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Kel,

Thanks so much for your kind words!!

Friedrich

PAULWILLIAMS
10-15-2013, 08:01 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!

PAUL WILLIAMS

cnkinsd
10-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Friedrich,

Would it be possible to put in a default button option into this? What I would be interested in is to reverse the process also so that the setup continues after the timer runs out as well as exiting the installation when the timer runs out.

Kel

linder
10-18-2013, 05:07 AM
Kel,

Yes, I think it should be possible. We'll make the new SetupBuilder 8.1 available later today and then let's play with it :)

Friedrich

linder
10-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Kel,

SetupBuilder 8.1 is available now and there is a new "CountdownTimer.sb8" demo in the updated Examples Package.

Please let me know what you think.

Friedrich