PDA

View Full Version : Error when trying to create MSI

cnkinsd
11-01-2013, 11:42 AM
All, I am getting the following error when trying to compile an MSI Compiler Error: SetupBuilder Windows Installer (.msi) compiler (SBMSI) not available. Anyone know what the issue is? Is it not in the evaluation version of the developer edition 8.1.4210? Thanks for your assistance Kel

linder
11-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Kel,

It's not really an "error". It just reports that MSI is not an option. The MSI compiler switch is only there to provide project backward compatibility to old SetupBuilder versions (back to 2006).

SetupBuilder lets you compile high-performance, native Windows installation executables instead of MSI setups. There are various fundamental limitations of MSI and only our own installation technology gives us full control over the installation process. MSI can only provide 30%-40% of the functionality that is available in our own SetupScript technology. That's why about 70% of our new customers switch *from* a MSI solution *to* SetupBuilder :)

BTW, you can embed a setup.exe into a setup.msi (please see "#exe2msi..." compiler directive) but I think that is not what you are looking for.

Friedrich

Mitchel71
11-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Fred,

I would not go back to .MSI for a million bucks :D SetupBuilder is the best thing since sliced bread.

Mitchel