PDA

View Full Version : Several problems -- most notable running program after installation completes

da spud
11-02-2013, 10:07 PM
I need to run the program I just installed once or maybe twice depending on circumstances. I used the run programs to set up the programs and the text for the checkboxes.

Problem #1, the text runs off the end of the tiny little window allowed for the dialog. How come window are so small? The 80 column x 25 line screen died long ago.:D http://screencast.com/t/dqoiyQ9aEoV

Problem #2 the check box always comes checked. I would like to have it UNchecked unless the user checks it. I thought maybe the "Run program once the installation exits" prompt on the Run Programs was the controlling line for checked or unchecked, but it seems to be the box is checked or not displayed at all. http://screencast.com/t/fqlyA2xS7AM

Problem #3 The text is cut off in this dialog box to set the destination folder. http://screencast.com/t/rAVJYFcqc

linder
11-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Problem #1, the text runs off the end of the tiny little window allowed for the dialog. How come window are so small? The 80 column x 25 line screen died long ago.:D

Because that is the industry-standard wizard size ;-) Shorten your checkbox text.

Problem #2 the check box always comes checked. I would like to have it UNchecked unless the user checks it. I thought maybe the "Run program once the installation exits" prompt on the Run Programs was the controlling line for checked or unchecked, but it seems to be the box is checked or not displayed at all.

By default, the checkbox is marked if the "Run program once the installation exists" option is enabled.

To solve your "problem", please see the "Run Check Box 1.sb8" demo.

Problem #3 The text is cut off in this dialog box to set the destination folder.

Did you play with the Defaul Font in General Information? Don't do this. The default is "MS Shell Dlg:8".

Hope this helps a bit.

Friedrich

linder
11-03-2013, 04:19 AM
BTW, and never run your own application(s) elevated from the installer (if your application executable is asInvoker manifested)!

Friedrich

linder
11-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Quick question: this looks strange (see attached screenshot). Can you reproduce this at will?

Friedrich

da spud
11-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Because that is the industry-standard wizard size ;-) Shorten your checkbox text.How about taking a leadership step and make the box size flexible? Or allow for two lines of text? There is currently not much room to describe an option.

By default, the checkbox is marked if the "Run program once the installation exists" option is enabled.

To solve your "problem", please see the "Run Check Box 1.sb8" demo.I don't want to HIDE it, but display it every time UNchecked. Hiding it requires that I know in advance that it doesn't apply to this user. The option I am trying to control applies to maybe 1 in 25 users so I don't want a Q&A dialog to pop up or I would use the dialog in place of the checkbox.

Did you play with the Defaul Font in General Information? Don't do this. The default is "MS Shell Dlg:8".Of course I did. :) Why allow it to be changed if the program cannot adapt to the change. Or put a warning that changing the default font may cause text boxes to have mis-located text.

Hope this helps a bit.

FriedrichIt helped a lot. Thank you for your very prompt answers. I am a little surprised that the issue of the pre-checked box has not triggered an option to UNcheck it beforehand.

linder
11-03-2013, 07:48 AM
I don't want to HIDE it, but display it every time UNchecked.

I just mentioned this example to show that you have full control over this process! I know that you don't what to HIDE it <g>.

Okay, I have developed a demo for you:

http://www.lindersoft.com/projects/RunCheckBox3.zip

Does this help?

Friedrich

da spud
11-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Pretty much. Put the left column on General Information. Then resize by moving the right edge of the screen into the column showing Project Properties MSI Summary..... That fails every time on any monitor. Sometimes it takes 2 or more tries and usually when the resize change is small (say 2 or 3 cm)

http://screencast.com/t/l4Wro1xE

This is windows 8 with updates up to but NOT including 8.1. I also have 3 monitors. 2 from the main display adapter and one from a USB display adapter.

da spud
11-03-2013, 08:30 AM
I just mentioned this example to show that you have full control over this process! I know that you don't what to HIDE it <g>.

Okay, I have developed a demo for you:

http://www.lindersoft.com/projects/RunCheckBox3.zip

Does this help?

FriedrichYes, it shows that it CAN be done. But I really, really liked being able to use the Run Programs setting because it was so easy to set up and I could specify command line options very easily.

Why not just have an option in that dialog to say the box is UNchecked initially? All the logic to test that setting seems to already be there so why have the user set up a dialog and test to do the same thing or am I missing something?

linder
11-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we can't reproduce this issue on any of our computers here in our office (16 machines running all kind of operating systems). But we know that it exists :( It happens on very few machines and is caused by the underlying resizing component.

Friedrich

linder
11-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Because it would over-complicate things :) Some users would like to hide it or have it disabled, other developers need it UNchecked. Or the check state is based on previous configuration settings and/or installation results. No problem, all this can be done. But the standard and default for the "Run program once the installation exists" option is "marked".

Friedrich

da spud
11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
...But the standard and default for the "Run program once the installation exists" option is "marked".

FriedrichTo me "default" implies a choice made by the system with the possibility to change it by a specification.

I can see that if a developer wants to control the initial state of the checkbox by some logic they would expect to have to make some logic settings. But I only want to have the initial setting unchecked. All the rest of the logic for what I want to do is already built into SB.

You have an option to display or not display a checkbox. How about an option to have it checked or unchecked initially?

linder
11-03-2013, 09:19 AM
I'll see what we can do...

Friedrich

da spud
11-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Thank you. I am sure you can do it as you have already done so many fantastic things.

I am also sure I am not the only one who wishes to ask a question with the default of NO. :)

linder
11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Added :)

---
IMPROVEMENT: [SB#3-11031] IDE: Add "Set the checkbox state to cleared" option to the "Run Program..." function.
---

Friedrich

da spud
11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Added :)

FriedrichYES! Thank you. One small suggestion -- ...sets the INITIAL state.....