PDA

View Full Version : Static Scan and fatal errors ...

dsbeggs@dsbglobal.com
11-12-2013, 01:49 PM
I have been a happy user of Setupbuilder for many years - thank you for a terrific product.

I have a problem since the last update (I think) where my installation of Setupbuilder will no longer perform a static scan of exe files.

Every time, it comes up with a fatal error - usually fatal error 10 or 12; occasionally fatal error 3 or 13.

I have tried:
- scanning exe files after installation , where all the dlls required are in the same folder (Fatal error 10 or 12)
- scanning the example clarion applications, before and after code-signing (error 10, 12, 13)
- scanning simple files with no dependencies (eg wupdate.exe - error 3)
- turning off all antivirus type software (I use symantec endpoint)

I imagine there must be somethng wrong with my installation of computer configuration (Windows 8 Pro).

Any suggestions would be most welcome ...

Thanks

Dave Beggs

linder
11-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Dave,

Thank you for your kind words!

Nothing changed in the static scan feature for years (SSCAN.DLL and DSCAN.DLL, last modification on 2/26/2008).

Unfortunately, this is not caused by the SetupBuilder 8 update so I don't have any suggestion yet :( If you are interested, I can give you access to previous SetupBuilder versions to test it. But you'll definitely run into the same issue on this machine (because nothing changed SB-wise).

Friedrich

linder
11-13-2013, 01:33 AM
BTW, and if you updated your existing SetupBuilder 8, you can always "rollback" to the previous build to check it. After that you can update to the latest version again.

Friedrich

linder
11-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Dave,

I tested an old SB7.7 on Windows 8.x and got the very same error(s). So it's not directly related to the SB8 update. Windows 8.x blocks the monitoring process at low-level. Not sure if there is a solution available, I'll see what Microsoft has to say and opened a ticket with them. So it is NOT your machine!

Friedrich

linder
11-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Dave,

it may take days before we get a response from Microsoft. We debugged the process and as far as we can see, some updated underlying "win-core-kernel32" and "win-core-privateprofile" DLLs immediately stop the static scanning process. So it seems to be a Win 8.x OS issue. We'll check if it is possible to work around it.

Friedrich

linder
11-14-2013, 03:03 AM
We have added a workaround. This will be available in the next maintenance release:

---
CHANGE : [SB#3-11121] IDE: Modifications in the "Perform Static Scan" Task Automation feature to work around a possible Windows 8.x issue.

CHANGE : IDE: Add more "api-ms-win-core-?", "api-ms-win-eventing-?", "api-ms-win-security-?", "api-ms-win-service-core-?" and "api-ms-win-shell-shellcom-?" DLLs to SBSCAN.INI.
---

Friedrich

StuAndrews
02-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Hey Friedrich,

Thought I'd hijack into this thread than starting a new one.

SB 8.1.4227

Am getting the fatal static scan error (not sure how long _since_, but I've just last week upgraded to sb8 from sb7, so that might have been the catalyst).

Picture attached.

Any thoughts?

linder
02-17-2014, 12:54 AM
Stu,

This is not related to the SB8 update. It's caused by a Windows issue and all previous SB versions are affected.

Just download the pre-release for Clarion developers and static scan should work fine on Windows 8.

And see:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=70438&highlight=filter#post70438

Does this help?

Friedrich

StuAndrews
02-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Hey Friedrich,

Am just getting around to installing the Clarion version.

The installer doesn't like my Serial Number .. I might be doing something wrong?

StuAndrews
02-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Hi Friedrich,

Have just gotten around to installing the Clarion version.

The installer doesn't seem to like my serial / key though.

Do I need something different?

linder
02-27-2014, 12:52 AM
Hi Stu,

you have licensed the FULL SetupBuilder Developer Edition flagship ;) Clarion Edition is the freeware version.

Here is the latest pre-release (temporary link):

http://www.lindersoft.com/sb8/sb81_4326_Dev.exe

Friedrich

StuAndrews
02-27-2014, 04:18 AM
Hey Friedrich,

Thanks for the reply.

My mistake, when you said ".. pre-release for clarion developers" I thought you meant the Clarion version!

linder
02-27-2014, 10:08 AM
<G> ;)

Friedrich