PDA

View Full Version : Minimize installer to task bar restore issues.

bagofgloom
11-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Some of our users have experienced an issue when minimizing the installer to the task bar. This only seems to be an issue on Windows 7. None of our end users are using Windows 8.

Once the installer is minimized clicking on it doesn't restore or make it top most. If I right-click on the installer I am given the option to Restore, Minimize and Move. Nothing happens when any of these options are clicked.

When the installer has finished hovering over the installer on the task bar it says finished but the user still cannot close the installer or restore it. Eventually Close Window becomes an option but clicking on it does nothing.

I have tested our installer on Windows Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 7. The installer worked flawlessly on Server 2003 and XP.

Is there a way I can prevent the installer from being minimized? If not how do I get the window to restore so the user can finish the installation. As of now they have to kill the process in task manager.

linder
11-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Hello,

I have never ever seen this before. Can you reproduce this at will on your Win7 machine(s)? If yes, could you create a simple demo project that we can compile and test here? Is this a 8.1 Build 4227 setup?

IMO, it is project specific because we did not receive any other report and SB powers millions of installs. Are you calling external installers (with "Wait for Program" checked) while the progress bar dialog is "enabled"?

An option to not minimize the wizard is not a solution. We have to find out why this happens in your install.

Friedrich

linder
11-27-2013, 12:36 AM
BTW, if you have a machine to reproduce this issue, could you please run the install with the /E event logging option and send the resulting c:\sbevents.txt to our Support at support [at] lindersoft [dot] com?

And it would be great if you could send your .sb8 project file so we can review it to see if there is anything in the script code that could cause this.

Friedrich

linder
11-27-2013, 02:10 AM
Quick update: we have tested two large installers on three different Win7 Ultimate x64 machines. Minimized the install during the setup process and it automatically restored at the end of the install. We instructed five of our testers to run a setup (minimized) on Win7. Same result -- it worked without any problem. So it's very well possible this is project specific.

As far as I can see from your screenshots, you can reproduce this on your Win7 machine. It would be great if you could send us the project file and the resulting sbevents.log.

Friedrich

bagofgloom
01-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Sorry for the late reply I have been away on business.

Yes I can recreate this issue at will but it has to be done at the right time. It only happens if a Wait Dialog box is open and I minimize it at that point. When all the Wait Dialog boxes have closed and I minimize it I will not have this issue.

I have supplied images on how I am using Run Program and Wait Dialog.
Thanks.

linder
03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Hello,

we tried several different combinations, but we can't reproduce it here :( Do you have a simple demo project (.sb8) available that can help?

Thanks,
Friedrich