PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SQL server install in 8.1

notlogan
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Where does setup builder (8.1) look to see if SQL is installed.

I am trying to test my installer on windows 8.1. I installed my app and SQL server....uninstalled everything....deleted SQL folder left behind. According to the control panel I have NO applications installed. However when I try to run my installer again it skips the SQL install.

Any suggestions?

linder
12-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Hello,

First of all, SetupBuilder 8.1 does not do the check. PreRequisites are not part of the core SetupBuilder system. They are provided as opriginal MS redistributables.

Perhaps the following variables give you more information (for SQL 2008):

%SQL2008EXPRX86_INSTALLIT%
%SQL2008EXPRX86_RETURNCODE%

Display the values after you have called the include script.

BTW, you have the full include script source code available so you can add your own "breakpoints" to see what the problem is. You have full control over this.

Friedrich

notlogan
12-17-2013, 08:22 AM
I have an installation program that installs an application and SQL Express.

When I run it from a CD or jump drive it installs fine.

So I create a zip file of the complete install plus SQL and load it to my web site.
Download the zip file.
Extract the zip file.
Run the install.
The application installs but SQL does not.

(I am using Run Command Line with this:

%SRCDRV%\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=DataBinder /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS=True /NPENABLED=1 /TCPENABLED=1 /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN /QS)

linder
12-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Hello,

Then you have to catch the return value from the external installer to see if it returns an error code. And make sure the runtime variables resolve to the expected values. For example, your %SRCDRV% variable value.

IMO, your path location is incorrect and the SQL redistributable is not launched at all. Add a simple "Display Message Dialog" function before your "Run Command Line" action to see if "%SRCDRV%\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe" (please note the missing '.exe' above) displays the correct and expected values.

Hope this helps a bit.

Friedrich

notlogan
12-17-2013, 08:47 AM
That may be it......I'll try trapping for the message....something flashes but it is too fast.....just confusing why it would run from disk & not from download....

linder
12-17-2013, 08:56 AM
I think it's a simple "source folder" problem.

%SRCDRV%\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU might resolve to, say, E:\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU when the installer is launched from the E: drive. Do you have the SQL redistributable located on the root of the drive after you unzipped it? Or do you have it in a sub-folder?

And always add the ".exe" extension when you launch an application via the CreateProcess Windows API (Run Command Line is a wrapper around CreateProcess).

Friedrich

notlogan
12-17-2013, 08:58 AM
I think you are correct......I'm trying to find where %srcdrv% is set (it's been a few months since I put this together).

When I install from media %srcdrv% is probably the cd drive or jump drive.....but when I download from the web.....it is being loaded from a download directory on C & %srcdrv% is probably not set.

Not sure how to show %srcdrv% in the message box....

Will I need a different installer to install from the web and use something like %tmpdir% instead of %srcdrv%

notlogan
12-17-2013, 09:02 AM
We were just discussing.....SQL should always be in the same dir as the other install files. Do I even need %SRCDRV% at all. It's not used anywhere else.

linder
12-17-2013, 09:05 AM
I would suggest to use %CURDIR%.

-or-

Set Variable %MY_INSTFOLDER% to FUNCTION:Get System Info(Installer Path Name)

Friedrich

linder
12-17-2013, 09:07 AM
See attached ;)

Friedrich

linder
12-17-2013, 09:08 AM
BTW, when you launch an external file from the install, you need the exact location. If the external file is located in the temporary Windows folder, you can use %TMPDIR%.

Friedrich

notlogan
12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks....that was it....set up %MYFOLDER% and all is well.....

linder
12-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Perfect. Thanks for the update!

Friedrich