PDA

View Full Version : Install target IP address

Tom H.
04-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Friedrich,

I searched the forum and found a response from you that SB didn't have a built-in method to get the IP address of the machine where an install is running, but that was back in 2010.

Have you added that functionality since then? (fingers crossed)

Thanks,
Tom H.

linder
05-01-2014, 04:28 AM
Tom,

the problem is, what is the IP address of the machine where an install is running?

Today, most computers have more than one network adapter, so potentially more than one IP address. Each adapter may (and will) have multiple IP addresses (e.g. my machine has five different IP addresses), including ones that will probably be useless to you like "127.0.0.1". How do you handle this scenario without SB? Perhaps we can then convert this method to SB script?

Friedrich

linder
05-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Hi Tom,

I am playing with some code. Could you please test the following command line tool on your machine(s)?

http://www.lindersoft.com/projects/getip.zip

Does it display the expected IP? If yes, then I'll add a built-in function to the SB runtime.

BTW, it displays this on my machine (see attached screenshot).

Thanks,
Friedrich

Tom H.
05-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Friedrich,

Thanks for looking into this. In a VM it correctly reported the single IP address, on the host it correctly reported all of the adapter addresses for both the virtual and physical adapters that were active.

I'll check it out on some of the machines as work later today as well. It would be great if it returned the adapter name as well, so that the basic "Local Area Connection" adapter could be identified.

Tom H.

linder
05-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for testing! Not sure if the adapter name or MAC address is avaiable (at Winsock level) but I'll see what I can do. On my VM it also reported a single IP address; the five IP addresses are (correctly) returned on my host (Win7 x64 with multiple adapters).

Friedrich

linder
05-08-2014, 02:57 AM
Tom,

I have added a new "Local IP Address" operation to the "Get System Info..." script function. This lets you obtain all IP addresses of the target machine including the corresponding MAC addresses. I'll make a test version available soon.

BTW, checking now if it is possible to retrieve the Adapter name info.

Friedrich

linder
05-08-2014, 04:11 AM
I think we can retrieve all the required IP/MAC/Adapter information now. We can even use it to get the network connection name (e.g. "Local Area Connection 2").

Friedrich

linder
05-09-2014, 03:38 AM
Tom,

I think the new built-in "Get System Info (Local IP Address Data)" script function is working fine now. We have tested it on several machines (see attached screenshot). I'll make a development release available later today.

Friedrich

linder
05-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Hi Tom,

I have uploaded development build #4413:

http://www.lindersoft.com/sb8/sb81_4413_Dev.exe

And this is a GetIPs demo project:

http://www.lindersoft.com/projects/GetIPs.zip

Does this work for you?

Thanks,
Friedrich