PDA

View Full Version : A way to import an entire registry group

cnkinsd
04-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Is there a way to import multiple registry settings directly from a .reg file? I have 17 registry settings for one program installation which need to be put into the package and doing them 1 at a time is EXTREMELY inefficient. Thanks Kel

linder
05-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Hi Kel,

The following should work fine. You can export (from the Windows Registry Editor) a registry key with multiple optional sub-keys and values into a standard .reg file and then import the whole .reg into your project (Registry Visualizer -> in the left pane, highlight the key where you want to add the new keys/subkeys, right-click, then select "Import REG file).

Does this help?

Friedrich

cnkinsd
05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Friedrich,Thanks for the reply, however the issue actually relates to the script editor portion. We have need for this functionality within the script editor not the visualizer. We can work around the issue by creating an MSI that does that task specifically, it is just very inefficient to do it that way. So I would like to formally request that as a new function with this great product.

linder
05-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi Kel,

Hmmm, but all the "Registry Visualizer" imported .reg items are "visible" and accessible in the Script Editor (see attached screenshots).

Oh wait, or are you looking for a new script function (e.g. "Import Registry .reg") that allows you to point to a .reg file and the compiler 'imports' the keys and values at setup compile time for you? So a single line in the script can import multiple items. --Or-- do you need a new "wizard" to import a .reg and then let the IDE create the multiple "Edit Registry..." script commands in the Script Editor for you?

Friedrich

cnkinsd
05-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Friedrich,

"need a new "wizard" to import a .reg and then let the IDE create the multiple "Edit Registry..." script commands in the Script Editor"

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is what we would be looking for. The ability to import reg files and have them editible at any location in the script... WISE had this functionality and I think it was one of the best features, the ability to edit multiple reg settings from imported reg files.

The problem with the visualizer is that it puts that information where the registry entries should be, not necessarily where need to be.

The ability to "Hide" the reg entries would be good too, I had a package, which I created in an MSI, had 257 reg entries. 257 lines of reg codes made for an unwieldy script. Long story...

But that would be great if that could be created/included at some point.

Kel

linder
05-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Kel,

Good idea(s). I'll see what we can do :)

Thank you for your suggestions !!!

Friedrich