PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the network lists entire network including shares

jamesmac
04-29-2015, 08:09 PM
I'm finding this is slowing me down. In Files and Folders, if I choose 'Network', instead of only listing the computers found, the dialog is discovering all shares and displaying a completely expanded list of computers with their shares. On our network, this can take a minute or so. Is it possible to make the behaviour like a normal listing - i.e., computers - click - shares?

Thanks,

James

linder
04-30-2015, 02:31 AM
Hi James,

Yes... I feel your pain. I'll see what we can do.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Friedrich

jamesmac
06-25-2015, 12:26 AM
Any chance of an update on this?

Thanks!

linder
06-25-2015, 02:47 AM
James,

Unfortunately, it's not a trivial task to change this behavior in the IDE :( The component that handles all the network stuff makes use of the WNetOpenEnum API and RESOURCE_GLOBALNET to enumerate all resources on the network. It's very complicated to change the underlying component :( Still on the ToDo list...

Friedrich

linder
06-25-2015, 03:58 AM
I've made it a higher priority. The current behaviour is definitely suboptimal. We'll have to check if it is possible to replace the component.

Friedrich

jamesmac
06-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Thanks, appreciate your attention!

linder
07-21-2015, 08:03 AM
James,

Unfortunately, we haven't found a way to change the "Network" behavior :( We have contacted Microsoft and enumeration is the only valid method to get network resources. The upper left IDE list provides a tree view of network computers and their shared folders. We have to use the WNetOpenEnum Windows API to start an enumeration of network resources or existing connections. It then continues the enumeration by calling the WNetEnumResource API. But even if we "filter" shares, WNetEnumResource would still go through all items :(

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa385449(v=vs.85).aspx

BTW, we are using the RESOURCE_GLOBALNET switch to enumerate ALL resources on the network. I am not sure if an option to use RESOURCE_REMEMBERED to enumerate all remembered (persistent) connections would help in your case.

Friedrich