ProgID: MicroGrad.cls.4.6
ProgID Description: MicroGrade Class File
File: %_SB_INSTALLDIR%\MicroGrade.Exe
Arguments: %1
Icon File: %_SB_INSTALLDIR%\MicroGrade.Exe with index of 1
Standard Canonical Verbs: Open

yet wen I try to run my installer then try to open a CLS file, I get an error
the file 'Program' cannot be used with MicroGrade

The funny thing is that wen I open a CLS file directly from MicroGrade's file open dialog it works jsut fine.

What's the missing piece of the puzzle?

now for the run programs question:

on the same installer I created 2 entries in the run programs visualizer, one for viewing the readme file after the installer exits and one for running MicroGrade wen the installer exits. I specifically stated in the properties of each of the items to run non elevated under UAC aware OSs and for the read me box as cleared in the finish dialog tab of it's property sheet.

linder
10-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Hello,

Pictures say more than 1000 words <g>. I have attached a File Extension (associates .sbp file extension with SetupBuilder 10) and a Run Program screenshot.

Hope this helps a bit.

Friedrich

lmodern1878
10-25-2015, 10:59 PM
While I still cannot get the file associations to work no matter what I try. This could be seen as a good thing as well as a stumbling block because other programs commonly installed on a computer with this app namely components of ExamView assessment suite also use the extension CLS and if these components are installed I don't want my installer to hijack the associations. If a user has another program which uses the CLS extension AND MicroGrade they can keep the original associations and just use MicroGrade's open class function.

On a happier note, I got the run programs working. Attached is a ZIP with my source files, finished setup, and SBP file. This is the program detailed on my question about capturing the changes made by a legacy installer. I got extremely lucky that all this program's installer does is register the file type, creates the start menu shortcuts, drops the files, and creates the uninstaller and nothing more.

Honestly after about 3 hours of working on this today, I am beyond proud of myself for getting a successful project out the door. :) and I can directly thank Linder over there for his work in helping me get it right!

Hint: use the "custom" to customize those pesky short cuts

Please use this installer for bragging rights if you'd like

[Copyright disclaimer]

I don't own MicroGrade, Chariot Software Group does. This is an older version of the application for those of us who need backwards compatibility to older windows platforms and hate product activation. This is provided (serial number included if you read the installer screens carefully) for those of us who have legitimately purchased this software and since lost our older version installers or in our case at my job the installers don't function properly anymore of the software since Chariot will not honor older keys (your only recourse is to buy the application AGAIN with the newer version breaking some functionality) this is intended so you don't have to pay for MicroGrade twice due to a corrupt installer file or lost install media.

Linder, you're going to get a kick if you run the installer that there are four seperate places where I "plug" Lindersoft SetupBuilder. :D *thinks to self* "wonder If I'm allowed to plug the SetupBuilder application prominently in my setup like that"

linder
10-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Hello,

Unfortunately, there was no ZIP attachement. It would be great if you could attach it or send it to us and we'll attach it to this thread.

Thank you!

Friedrich