PDA

View Full Version : Find value in registry then get then get that Regkey

cnkinsd
04-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Hi Firedrich,

Here is a new one for you.

I have a need to search the registry for a specific value... I know what the value is but not where it might be in the registry, I need to find that value where ever it is then capture that regkey so that I can check for an updated file based on the search. I am specifically looking for a DriverDesc and DriverVersion which may or may not exist on any given machine. Is this possible within SB?

You may reference Reg Query as an example of what I am trying to do with the following command:
REG Query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ResKit /v Version

I have tried several iterations of things combining different technologies which do not work, and was hoping that possibly SB could do this quite easily...

Kel

linder
04-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Kel,

I have to give it some thoughts and get back to you.

Friedrich

cnkinsd
04-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Thanks Friedrich...Keep up the good works...

Kel

linder
04-15-2016, 05:57 AM
Still working on this.... It's tricky.

Friedrich

cnkinsd
04-26-2016, 02:28 PM
Yes sir, it is. Been trying other ways to do this without success....

Kel

linder
04-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Kel,

Working on a new built-in function to handle it. I'll post more information soon.

Friedrich

cnkinsd
05-03-2016, 01:17 PM
This is why this software ROCKS so hard!

Kel,

Working on a new built-in function to handle it. I'll post more information soon.

Friedrich

linder
05-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Hi Kel,

Thank you !!!

We have added a new "Search for Registry Key Value..." script function to the latest internal build (still needs some optimization). This will be available in the next maintenance build.

Friedrich

linder
05-13-2016, 03:25 AM
Kel,

It was not a trivial task to add this feature (it's a complex recursive function). I think we'll have a test version available next week. Would it be possible for you to test it in your scenario?

Friedrich

cnkinsd
05-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Absolutely, I am willing to test what ever you need me to. Anything to keep this product valuable.

Just let me know, I can send you an email if you need me to.

linder
07-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Kel,

I haven't forgotten about you. This is a very very complicated function (has to be recursively called) and still does not work as expected. I think that's the reason why there is no standard Windows API available to handle it.

Still working on it...

Friedrich

cnkinsd
10-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Friedrich,

Thank you for your tenacity. Sorry it has been so long for me getting back with you, medical issues caused me to be absent from work for some time, but I am back and ready to assist where needed. Just let me know.

Kel

linder
10-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Kel,

So sorry to hear :( Hope you are doing better now!

I have added a SearchReg function to SetupBuilder. We'll compile a new internal version this weekend. It would be great if you could test the new feature.

Thanks,
Friedrich

linder
10-18-2016, 04:59 AM
Update: the new "Search Registry Value Name..." script function seems to work fine now. Ready to test :)

Friedrich

linder
12-20-2016, 02:25 AM
Kel,

The following is available in SetupBuilder 2017 Version 10 Build 5368 (December 19, 2016) now:

NEW : Add "Search for Registry Value..." script function. This lets you find a value in the Windows registry.

Friedrich