PDA

View Full Version : SBI /q /norestart restarted anyway

MarkRiffey
02-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Recently we had to add the VS C++ 2017 redistributable to our installer (thanks for the version checking on that, Friedrich).

Odd thing is, it forced a reboot on a user's machine while I was watching it. It runs early in our install and rebooted them right out of it - because they clicked "sure, reboot it" before I could stop them.

I opened the SBI for this include and noticed it had /norestart on the command line.

My question is - why would the reboot prompt appear given that the 2017 C++ SBI has /q and /restart?

Mark

linder
02-28-2019, 02:39 AM
Hi Mark,

the Microsoft C++ 2017 redistributable returned the magic "3010" exit code (because it had to replace "in-use" system components). That means, a reboot was required.

The redistributable did not reboot the system, but Line 149 requested it (see attached screenshot). If you would like to disable a required reboot process, just comment-out Lines 148-150. But please note that you do not have a valid VC++ 2017 installation if you suppress the reboot.

What you can do is to store the required reboot status and then ask for a reboot at the end of your installation. In this case, do not start your own app from the install.

Does this help?

Friedrich

MarkRiffey
02-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Magic codes, eh? I traded mine for a cow:)

That helps - we'll do that. Thank you.

Mark

linder
03-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Magic codes, eh? I traded mine for a cow:)

<G> ;)

Friedrich