PDA

View Full Version : One Person cannot install

ccordes
12-11-2019, 06:01 AM
I have a large install(1.7GB) that includes a lot of data. I'm using a web install so the installer is code-signed and it gets all the .bin files from our website.
We've had no problems until now.
One customer can download the exe and start it. It will go through the motions of setting the target directories and options but then fails on the first or second file download.
Their IT dept says that they've removed all restrictions through the firewall and AV protection.
I'm flummoxed. Is there a check list somewhere that I can go through to make sure I've dotted my i's and crossed the Ts?

If I send them a non-web install it worked fine. That was with only some sample data.
TIA,
Chris C

ccordes
12-11-2019, 06:27 AM
One more thing - when the installer crashes they get this error message-

pc-GAR Installer has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

[--> Close the program]

Thanks again.

linder
12-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Hi Chris,

it's very well possible that their protection software is "over protective" and brings the setup.exe down (during their real-time monitoring). This "Installer has stopped working" is typical for this.

From the technical point-of-view, there is absolutely no difference between a single-file and a web-enabled multiple-file setup.exe with cluster files or .bin. The only difference is that a web-enabled installer downloads the required data from a server.

Friedrich

ccordes
12-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Yes, that's what I was thinking an over zealous AV maybe.
It crashes exactly where that difference occurs - when it starts downloading the sections. So I have to assume that it is something about the exe doing the downloading. Even though they just downloaded the exe.
I'm not sure if it's the downloading or the rename/copy after the file is downloaded. Are the file installed as they downloaded or after they're all downloaded?

Thanks
Chris C

linder
12-13-2019, 06:19 AM
Hi Chris,

the installer downloads the .00000x cluster file or the .bin into a temporary folder. After that, it decompresses the file to be installed into the "final" location. I think the protection software injects itself into the download component (to monitor the activity) and this crashes the system. Some kind of over-protective anti-spyware or anti-virus system.

Friedrich

ccordes
12-13-2019, 10:58 AM
That makes sense.
And not much I can do for them, if they won't turn it off.
So I created a big fat installer with all the data. The next issue will be that the certificate can't be validated. That's the problem that made me change to web-based setups.

Thanks,
Chris

linder
12-16-2019, 04:15 AM
Chris,

and if you create a small setup.exe with one large .bin? Then they only have to download two files and the installer does not have to download anything.

Friedrich

ccordes
12-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Friedrich,
Can I do that?
Wouldn't the installer still have to download the large .bin?

Chris

linder
12-17-2019, 03:23 AM
Hi Chris,

yes, this should not be a problem. Just set General Information -> Generator Settings -> Media Type to "Custom (for UAC-aware systems)". This lets you compile your large installation into a small setup.exe and a setup.bin file (with an option to generate a multiple-volume disk set). Your customer can download the .exe and .bin.

Does this help?

Friedrich

ccordes
12-17-2019, 09:41 AM
I would not have thought of this.
Thanks, Friedrich, I will give it a try.

Have a Merry & a Happy,
Chris C