PDA

View Full Version : OneDrive (and perhaps Office) and unexpected CSIDL_PERSONAL values returned by SB

MarkRiffey
06-24-2022, 02:45 PM
We've had a few users struggling at install-time with folders under \users\username\documents lately.

This is one of several messages we might see:

I started adding log entries to get to the bottom of the rather odd folder name. Here's the code I used:

The user returned the log to me today and I have pointed out the rather unusual coming back from my request to SB to tell me the folder for CSIDL_PERSONAL on this user's login.

This is what was returned:

Needless to say, finding ?? in a folder spec is a bit of a surprise. I suspect that the user has enabled OneDrive file sync inside of Office - but I have not confirmed that yet (and this user may have no control over that).

While I can ask the user to manually force the folder location via the command line (a feature of our install for automation-leaning customers), this is far from ideal - particularly if OneDrive market penetration increases.

I was a bit shocked to find an invalid folder name coming back from this request.

Mark

linder
06-25-2022, 07:13 AM
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay. Covid-19 hit our office hard. We are still closed :-(

Friedrich

MarkRiffey
06-25-2022, 08:04 AM
Ok. Hope you guys get to feeling better, Friedrich.

Mark

MarkRiffey
01-17-2023, 04:32 PM
Friedrich,

Bumping this.

Mark

MarkRiffey
06-22-2023, 08:44 AM
Bump. This is a big hassle when a user lets OneDrive take control of their desktop/docs folder.

linder
06-22-2023, 10:05 AM
Hi Mark,

I have added a SB runtime "workaround" to handle this. It would be great if you could test it when the next beta is available. I had to revamp the wizard dialog engine again for higher DPI machines.

Friedrich

MarkRiffey
06-22-2023, 10:20 AM
Ok, will do. Glad to hear about the DPI improvements.