PDA

View Full Version : Failed to load plugin Shellx64.dll

torrid
01-22-2024, 06:49 PM
I went into core prerequisites and checked the MS C++ x64 for 2015 and it does run the installer prior to my installer...

1) is there a way to show our opening installer screen and THEN show the installer for the C++ redistrib?
Otherwise it makes customers very leery as there is no indication the Torrid Tech installer is running.

2). It does run before my installer but I still get this missing Shellx64.dll

Any ideas what might cause that?

Thx
-Tim

lmodern1878
01-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Hi:

The way I handled this is: 1) remove the core prerequisite
2) have vcredist.ext as a support file
3) do a check for the covual C++ redistribution (if installed set variable to 0, if not set it 1)
3) let your installer run as normal but right before the first file copy display a message saying something like “one or more required components were not found…” if the user clicks yes %_SB_RETURN% will be $IDYES$ if not it will be $IDNO$. If the user chooses yes, run VC++ install in quiet mode, if not, exit install.

Hope this helps :-)

torrid
01-23-2024, 07:56 AM
Sample script to share perhaps since you've clearly done this before? I'm a programmer and can figure it out I'm sure but thought I'd ask.
Thank you for the tip!

torrid
01-23-2024, 08:01 AM
Also where do you put the vcredist.exe as support... just in same folder as the application?

lmodern1878
01-23-2024, 09:37 PM
Hi, yes, I would be happy to build a sample project using the X6 version of that dependency. And I will attach it here for the record. It might take me a couple of days, but I’ll get it done if I cannot attach it for whatever reason, I will upload it to my cloud Drive and give you a download link.

torrid
01-23-2024, 09:55 PM
Loretta,
That would be awesome. I'm trying to release the 2024 version and I am over 3 weeks late at this point due to various programming, bugs, and codesign issues. DOH!

I would be glad to give you a free copy of my software if you want to plan your retirement savings....

Regards,
-Tim

lmodern1878
01-24-2024, 12:43 AM
Loretta,
That would be awesome. I'm trying to release the 2024 version and I am over 3 weeks late at this point due to various programming, bugs, and codesign issues. DOH!

I would be glad to give you a free copy of my software if you want to plan your retirement savings....

Regards,
-Tim

Tim:

First of all, thank you for the kind offer; however, that won't be necessary as 1) I'm permanently disabled from birth :D and so "retirement" is not in my future as even living on a fixed income is hard enough let alone retiring on one, and 2) I enjoy SetupBuilder and helping people so much that I'm willing to help where I can. It's not often I'm able to help with something like this unless I've ran into the same issue or similar before. It just so happens that I've done something like what you're asking when repackaging a program that required a different prerequisite. So there's no need to give me anything for free knowing I get to help someone is payment enough :-). I don't know about the plugin issue, but the custom prerequisite issue I can definitely solve :-)

I'm working on your demo file right now as I couldn't sleep so I might have it done within a few hours

lmodern1878
01-24-2024, 03:48 AM
Tim:

Please find below a link to my Mega Cloud drive with a ZIP file containing a demonstration project that I put together showing how it's done. In the ZIP is a RTF file that explains how it works and has screenshots, also included is the SetupBuilder script and a full working example. Bear in mind that this is using the x86 version of the visual C++ redistributable but the process should be the same just with a bit of altration for x64.

Took me a few hours working late into the night but I really did have fun getting to build this :-)

Hope this helps and if you've got any questions, feel free to reply and I'll see what I can do.

LINK: Download Example Project From Mega.NZ Cloud Drive (https://mega.nz/file/gF80DbjJ#Oio-LrzgagaFA5gJrhXzjp0mv6Me37VKzyK0KpLHxAg)

Disclaimer: I'm no expert and I don't work for Lindersoft. What works for me might not work for you and so you should test everything in a lab environment before deploying it to production. Additionally, there may be better ways of accomplishing such tasks but this is the way I have found to do it.

torrid
01-24-2024, 06:54 PM
Wow that was so sweet of you. I have been trying to reply all day but I get "token has expired" on this vbulletin board each time even after logging out and back in. Trying again.
I have it downloaded and am going to work on it now. I appreciate your help so much!

lmodern1878
01-25-2024, 12:05 AM
Hi:

First of all, no worries. :). I al always happy to help where I can. If you’ve got questions, I am willing to help!