PDA

View Full Version : More automation after compiling a script

Doug I
05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Maybe I'm asking too much from an installer tool, but... :D

As a developer, I still have a couple of steps immediately following a compiled script that I would like to be more automated. I want to minimize as many steps possible in the deployment process of my applications. SB5 has certainly cut my steps down from 20+ to less than 5 at this point. I guess I'm a bit greedy and want that 1 step and go deployment.

I believe most developers do some basic form of the following things after an install program has created its single-file image.

1. Copy the recently created Install program (i.e. SB5's [EXENAME]) over to some designated folder on your local machine or network.

2. Run an FTP Program that will take my newly created installation program and move it on to my website for download purposes.

3. Run a utility to copy all necessary files to a CD for shipping purposes.

It would be nice if SB5 would allow the ability for running a Batch file immediately following a compilation of a script. I could then make .BAT file with instructions for copying the SB5 image file wherever I choose plus running any other programs that need done for final software deployment.

The ultimate goal is to make a one-click process for an entire deployment of an app to the web and CD.

Thanks...

linder
05-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Dough,

Cool idea! SB5 can already execute commands at compile time (using #run). We are now playing with a function to execute commands after compilation of a script. This should be available in the next build.

Thanks,

Doug I
05-04-2005, 09:36 AM
This would be awesome, and go a long way to saying that SB5 can produce true point. click. ship. deployable apps.

Joel On Software has a great article on the importance of this very concept.

SB5 is quickly becoming one of my favorite dev productivity tools. :D

linder
05-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks so much... :)

linder
05-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Dough,

Functions added to perform post-compilation tasks. This will be part of Release Candidate 3.

Thank you for your suggestion!