PDA

View Full Version : Help for newbe

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-04-2005, 06:01 AM
Hi.

I'm new to Setup Builder 5. I was using Setup Builder 4 for Clarion, but never used the script editor.
Now what I want to do is create an installer that detects what versions of Clarion is installed and register a template at the end. I found no help about, but I did found several nice examples that do parts of it.
Now, I figured that if I want to copy what's in those examples, I can launch SB5 twice, one loaded with the example and the other with my project, and "copy" script lines from one to the other. Only that this only worked once, for one line! Let's call them project #1 and #2.
1) Now, I select a line in the script editor in #1 and click right mouse, press "copy". Go to #2, click right mouse, the "paste" option is disabled. :confused:
2) In #2, I want to just add a blank line. How do I do that?
3) It seems that the only way to do what I want (i.e. detect Clarion version) is touching the script, is that right?
4) In the "help" menu, if I select "Reference manual", nothing happens. Is that right?
5) There is plenty of help on what the scripts are and how to use them, but didn't found any on how to use the script editor. Is there any, in that case where?
I'm a bit lost, any help would be appreciated.
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

michael
05-04-2005, 06:35 AM
Jorge,

You cannot copy between different SB5 IDE instances. What you can do is to open the script, copy data, open the new script and paste the data.

BTW, see "Detect Clarion Versions Demo 1.sb5", "Detect Clarion Versions Demo 2.sb5" and "Clarion Template Registration Demo.sb5" scripts.

To add a script function, you can double click the function from the Script Items list or drag and drop it to the Script Editor.

HTH,

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-04-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi, Michael.
Open, select, copy, close, open, paste, close, open, select, copy, close, open, paste... :(
It's from that examples precisly from where I'm trying to extract the script.
I want to add a blank line to the script, not a script function, how do I?
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

michael
05-04-2005, 06:45 AM
Jorge,

To add a blank line, select the script line and double click "Add Script Comment..." or drag and drop "Add Script Comment..." to the script line.

Does this work for you?

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Yes, it did.
Thank you, Michael!!

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Three questions remains...
3) It seems that the only way to do what I want (i.e. detect Clarion version) is touching the script, is that right?
4) In the "help" menu, if I select "Reference manual", nothing happens. Is that right?
5) There is plenty of help on what the scripts are and how to use them, but didn't found any on how to use the script editor. Is there any, in that case where?

TIA
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

michael
05-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Jorge,

3.) Yes

4.) Yes. The documentation is still under heavy development

5.) What problems do you have with the Script Editor?

BTW, the script commands are listed in the right pane of the editor, and you add them to your script by drag-and-drop (or select the script line and double-click the script item). When you drop a new command on your script, a dialog box opens automatically to prompt you for any variable information the command requires.

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Jorge,

3.) Yes

ok

4.) Yes. The documentation is still under heavy development

ok...

5.) What problems do you have with the Script Editor?

BTW, the script commands are listed in the right pane of the editor, and you add them to your script by drag-and-drop (or select the script line and double-click the script item). When you drop a new command on your script, a dialog box opens automatically to prompt you for any variable information the command requires.

Well, I'm starting to figured out the basics like this one, but I really couldn't found nothing like this in the help. I'll ask you again if I have some especifical question.
Thank you,
Jorge Lavera

michael
05-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Jorge,

I copy and pasted this from the HTML help ("Using the Script Editor" topic).

Just let us know if you have further questions.

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Jorge,

I copy and pasted this from the HTML help ("Using the Script Editor" topic).

Just let us know if you have further questions.

Darn!
I couldn't find it until you mentioned it!
I'm getting old...

Thank you,
Jorge Lavera

michael
05-06-2005, 08:42 AM
:)

The PDF manual (based on the HTML) will be available later next week.

Thanks,

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Ok, meanwhile here is a question:
In the Script Editor, I can see there are "sections" (for example, [ User Interface ]).
I can't find in the help about them (which doesn't mean that there isn't anything, as we already saw...).
In what order are these sections executed (if they are), and what they mean?
For example, looking in one example, I see this section
[ User Interface ]
where I supposed to put something,
But when I created a new project, there is no such section. Instead, I have
[ Interview User Interface ]
but it doesn't seem to work the same.

Can you orientate me?
TIA,
Jorge Lavera

michael
05-06-2005, 10:37 AM
What you see in the script is what is executed. The installation executes each script command in sequence, starting from the beginning of the installation script (see important script concepts in the HTML help).

The "sections" are only visual indicators - they "do" nothing. You can, say, add Install Files commands to the [ Create Folders ] section. It's up to you.

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-06-2005, 01:45 PM
All right, now we are getting somewhere.
The "section" stuff was realling confusing me. Is there a way to completly deactivate them, or at least to change the names? They seem fixed.

Also, the debugger isn't available yet? When I tried to start the debbuger, it says that I should mark a debug option that I cannot find anywhere.
And I cannot find help on valid values for #pragma.

Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Ok, I found the option (off, min, full) to activate the debugger.

All right, now we are getting somewhere.
The "section" stuff was realling confusing me. Is there a way to completly deactivate them, or at least to change the names? They seem fixed.

Also, the debugger isn't available yet? When I tried to start the debbuger, it says that I should mark a debug option that I cannot find anywhere.
And I cannot find help on valid values for #pragma.

Greetings,
Jorge Lavera