PDA

View Full Version : Changing [EXENAME] at compile time

Doug I
05-04-2005, 09:03 AM
I like the compiler directives capabilities a lot and have created one script to make slightly different versions of the same app.

I would love to be able to do a SET VARIABLE on the [EXENAME] (or something similar), so that when I run my script with a different passed var, I can tell my script to use a different compiled name and final location for my newly created single-file image.

As it currently stands, I can't even give SB5 a full path and filename value for [EXENAME] at all. So, SB5 places the final compiled exe where it seems fit and then requires me to dig around in Win Explorer to get the file myself to include in my CD Build.

I find this area to be the only real weakness in the product thus far. This is somewhat important to me to be able to tell SB5 the where and what of the final created [EXENAME]. Hope that Friedrich can work some magic on this one.

linder
05-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Dough,

What we need is a function to set the value of a compiler variable. The "Set Value" function only works on installer variables (e.g. %TEST%). Compiler variables are defined on the Compiler Variables screen.

BTW, very good idea :) I'll see what I can do here. It should not be a problem to add a new Script Management function so we can set the value of a compiler variable at compile time.

Thanks,

Doug I
05-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Damn Linder... you were quick to reply. :)

Please note the edits I made to the original post.
I forgot to mention that the path of where the [EXENAME] is stored is also important as well. This is currently lacking, even in the IDE.

Thanks,
Doug

linder
05-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Dough,

<g> :)

I fear that we cannot modify the path of where the [EXENAME] is stored. The location of the project file determines where the setup.exe is saved.

If your test1234.sb5 project is located under c:\my projects then SB5 compiles the [EXENAME] under c:\my projects\test1234

If you compile a web installer, its located under c:\my projects\test1234\Web

Doug I
05-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Well if the path thingie cant be done with [EXENAME], at least there will be other workarounds I could employ if you address the other 2 enhancements I suggested.

I could have the compiler call a .bat file at the end of the script that would copy my setup.exe files to where I want. The other suggestion of renaming the [EXENAME] in the script would also still help. Then I won't have to worry about which exe is which from the same run install script.

That being said, maybe you should at least allow the [EXENAME] in the General Information Settings to have a path name option. So, in the IDE I could say something like [ROOT]\setup.exe for the [EXENAME] value.

Just a thought.