PDA

View Full Version : Next Version SetupBuilder 7 ?!

dbuechel
12-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Hey,

i test your SetupBuilder 6 Developer - and i must say - very good program !!!

We use the Wise Installation System Professional 9 - and i must use the function "Compiler Variable"

SetupBuilder 6 have that too !

Question: When comes the new version from setupBuilder 7 ?

I need the function:

Visual Dialog Editor (Developer Edition). The Visual Dialog Editor (VDE) lets you create custom dialog displayed by your installation. This gives developers even more control over installations.

thx

PS: sorry for my bad english ;) (germany)

andrea
12-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your kind words :)

SetupBuilder 7 (Gold) is scheduled to be released in Q1 2008. We'll make the beta available end of January / mid-February 2008.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

dbuechel
12-18-2007, 08:31 AM
i test the Wep Update function

in the helpfile:

All your files are now located in the \Web subfolder. Upload your installation file (e.g. myapp_101.exe) and the Server Manifest File (e.g. myapp.ini) to your web server.

i cant find the Server Manifest File !

what i must do ?

andrea
12-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Hello,

You have defined the name of that file in Web Deployment -> Live Application Update -> Enable Web Update. Then in the property sheet to the right, see "Server Manifest File" field.

Does this help?

dbuechel
12-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Question:

What is the different from #compiler variable and #const variable ?

in the script is for the feature this:
::Define Feature "New Feature 1" (New Feature 1)

i can do

#ifconst $TEST$ Equals "0" Then
::Define Feature "New Feature 3" (New Feature 3) -- Parent Feature: "New Feature 2"
#end

how can disable in the details "Install by Default" by script ?
the function:
Visible
[in] If you set it to Yes, the feature and its children is displayed (reserved for future use).
^^ when does this work ?

linder
12-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Hello,

A constant differs in that it cannot be reassigned a new value after initialization. The value of compiler variables can change.

You cannot disable "Install by Default" programmatically.

The "Visible" option is already used in the .msi compiler (alpha testing started this month).

Does this help?

Friedrich

dbuechel
12-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Hello,

A constant differs in that it cannot be reassigned a new value after initialization. The value of compiler variables can change.

You cannot disable "Install by Default" programmatically.

The "Visible" option is already used in the .msi compiler (alpha testing started this month).

Does this help?

Friedrich

not good :(

in our WiseScript i have over 100 compiler variables - and our install is very individual for the enduser - when i doesnīt disable "Install by Default" or invisible .....

dbuechel
12-19-2007, 01:46 AM
a Bug ?!

the webupdate program doesnīt work with this filename:

Your Project Name-4.exe

with this name:

project.exe

works ^^

we use a linux-server

linder
12-19-2007, 02:03 AM
Hello,

What exactly do you have to do? Disable certain features for certain customers?

Friedrich

linder
12-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Hmm, just checked this here and it seems to work fine. We created a web installation named Your Project Name-4.exe. We uploaded the files to a Linux server and the web installation worked fine. The web update checked for a new version (which is not available).

What kind of error is reported?

Thanks,
Friedrich

linder
12-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Okay, we even created a web update now and it works without any problem.

The web install that initializes the web update feature is named "Your Project Name-4.exe". The web update is named "Your Project Name-4a.exe".

Works without any problem on our Apache servers. And we have not received any similar reports (about 60% of our customers are using Linux based servers) so I think it is safe to say that it's not a bug in SetupBuilder :)

Friedrich

dbuechel
12-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Hello,

What exactly do you have to do? Disable certain features for certain customers?

Friedrich

ok - i try:

we have a product with a lot of feature:

Program 1
-> info for prg1
-> update for prg1
Program 2
-> info for prg 2
-> testversion for prg2

ok - for some user we build a setup that he sees following:

Program 1
-> info for prg1
Program 2
-> info for prg 2

a other user setup:

Program 1
-> info for prg1
-> update for prg1 <= see this - but is disable and he can not enable !
Program 2
-> info for prg 2

or:

Program 2
-> info for prg 2
-> testversion for prg2

^^ you see - many possibility

dbuechel
12-19-2007, 02:21 AM
hmmm...

look on my picture ;)

linder
12-19-2007, 02:42 AM
Perhaps your firewall?

I have the test project still on our server:

www.lindersoft.com/Your Project Name-4.exe

Download the above and start it. It will execute a web install. Then go to c:\program files\your project name-4 and start wupdate.exe. This will then execute a Your Project Name-4a.exe web update.

Works fine on Windows 2000, Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista Ultimate and Business (32/64-bit) and Windows Server 2008 RC1.

We have not opened a ticket for this because it's definitely not a SetupBuilder bug :)

Friedrich

linder
12-19-2007, 02:43 AM
The full link:

http://www.lindersoft.com/Your%20Project%20Name-4.exe

dbuechel
12-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Perhaps your firewall?

I have the test project still on our server:

www.lindersoft.com/Your Project Name-4.exe

Download the above and start it. It will execute a web install. Then go to c:\program files\your project name-4 and start wupdate.exe. This will then execute a Your Project Name-4a.exe web update.

Works fine on Windows 2000, Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista Ultimate and Business (32/64-bit) and Windows Server 2008 RC1.

We have not opened a ticket for this because it's definitely not a SetupBuilder bug :)

Friedrich

hehe ;)

i canīt use your program ;) - see my picture!

You take the wrong port !

linder
12-19-2007, 02:59 AM
No, your machines block access ;) Check your firewall settings and you are done <g>

Hope this helps!

Friedrich

dbuechel
12-19-2007, 03:09 AM
No, your machines block access ;) Check your firewall settings and you are done <g>

Hope this helps!

Friedrich

what port did you use ?

port 80 ?!

linder
12-19-2007, 03:28 AM
Of course, port 80 ;)

And when I wrote "Works fine on Windows 2000, Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista Ultimate and Business (32/64-bit) and Windows Server 2008 RC1." then I meant we have tested the "Your Project Name-4.exe" test web update on these machines.

It's definitely a firewall problem on your site. If you are interested, I can point you to some links on our newsgroup that describe the same problem. Your firewall or whatever protection software you have (ZoneAlarm?) detects that a program tries to get access to the Internet. Then it blocks it and that's why you see the 5060 communication error.

Does this help?

Friedrich

RDaley
12-19-2007, 03:52 AM
We will discuss this in the next meeting. Just curious, how do you do this in Wise 9?

dbuechel
12-19-2007, 04:39 AM
We will discuss this in the next meeting. Just curious, how do you do this in Wise 9?

see my picture.

all function in the dialog editor have a variable and control name - and with the control name can i the following operation:
Show/Enable Control
Disable Control
Hide Control

^^

the Wise Installation Studio can you download : http://www.wise.com/Wise/Products/Installations/WiseInstallerEvaluations.aspx

RDaley
12-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Of course, we have Wise Installation Studio because our Consulting experts convert Wise scripts to SetupBuilder :)

Okay, I see. That is a different approch. We'll brainstorm it here.

dbuechel
12-21-2007, 02:42 AM
when can i hope about a answer ?
about you can change your software or not ?!

RDaley
12-21-2007, 02:54 AM
Hello,

Sorry, I did not understand that you expected an answer to the question this week. Holiday season is here and so our next meeting will be after Christmas. We'll then brainstorm if the change would make sense or not. And because SetupBuilder powers quite a few million installations, we have to make sure that modifications do not break existing projects. Your suggestion would result in a major code change so I am unable to answer your question today, sorry.

RDaley
12-21-2007, 02:59 AM
Would it be possible for you to send us one of your projects (Wise script) so we can analyze what you are doing? A script says more than a thousand words. Perhaps we have another solution to handle this from our script.

If you are interested, you can send it to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com

Thanks,

dbuechel
01-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Would it be possible for you to send us one of your projects (Wise script) so we can analyze what you are doing? A script says more than a thousand words. Perhaps we have another solution to handle this from our script.

If you are interested, you can send it to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com

Thanks,

sorry - i canīt do that ;)

but when you have a wise script version - you can do that !

have you information about the next version 7.0 ?

thx

db

RDaley
01-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Okay, I understand :)

Yes, we have access to the latest Wise Installation Studio.

By the way, we'll make SetupBuilder 7 information available next month.

dbuechel
06-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Okay, I understand :)

Yes, we have access to the latest Wise Installation Studio.

By the way, we'll make SetupBuilder 7 information available next month.

Hey :)

have information for me when the SetupBuilder 7 comes or the function that i need ?!

Galedon

linder
06-19-2008, 02:50 AM
Galedon,

have information for me when the SetupBuilder 7 comes or the function that i need ?!

SetupBuilder 7 (SB7) is still in development. We listen to our customers and as a result, we have added quite a few new features to the SB7 roadmap.

SB7 will be fully backward compatible with SB6! Please note that SB6 is still in active development - we are working on SB6 and SB7 simultaneously. All SB6 modifications make it into the SB7 project and if necessary, we port exclusive SB7 source code enhancements back to SB6 to provide a stable SB6 system.

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

dbuechel
11-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey

i have read in your history
http://www.lindersoftware.com/HISTORYSB.TXT

IMPROVEMENT: (sync from SB7) IDE: Better "Compiler Variable" pre-processing.

is this compiler variable what i have ask you in this post:
http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15123&postcount=21
^^

linder
11-19-2008, 02:04 AM
Hello,

No, "compiler variables" are used at compile time (when you compile your setup.exe), not runt-time (when you execute the setup.exe).

But the Visual Dialog Editor in SetupBuilder 7 allows to enable/disable/hide,... controls in Custom Dialogs.

Does this help?

Friedrich

linder
11-19-2008, 02:06 AM
BTW, if you are interested, please see this:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10562

Friedrich

dbuechel
11-19-2008, 02:59 AM
"compiler variables" are used at compile time (when you compile your setup.exe), not runt-time (when you execute the setup.exe).

ok - this i need :) but i have one problem/question - in your help file:

Preprocessor: Set Compiler Variable Value

Enter the following command line statement into a batch file or any other program that has the ability to run command line statements, such as Scheduled Tasks in the Control Panel to read the constant value from the compiler command line:

SBUILDER.EXE /C "C:\Development\Sample.sb6" /CV MYCOMPILERVAR "1"
where:
SBUILDER.EXE is the path to the SetupBuilder 6 executable
/C is the compiler switch
"C:\Development\Sample.sb6" is the path to the project file you want to compile
/CV is the switch to read the compiler variable value from the compiler command line
MYCOMPILERVAR is the name of the compiler variable to define
"1" is the new value of the compiler variable

^^

is this the only way to change the value of the compiler vairable ?!
or can i change the value from the editor to build time ?!

linder
11-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Hello,

The above is from the "command line compiler" documentation.

Of course, you can also set/change compiler variables programmatically in the Script Editor ;)

Just use the "#set compiler variable..." compiler directive and you are done :)

Does this help?

Friedrich

dbuechel
11-19-2008, 04:51 AM
Hello,

The above is from the "command line compiler" documentation.

Of course, you can also set/change compiler variables programmatically in the Script Editor ;)

Just use the "#set compiler variable..." compiler directive and you are done :)

Does this help?

Friedrich

no - this doesnt help

when you have 20 compiler variables with 10 and more different value for each compiler variables - can you not every build, change this in the script

linder
11-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Sorry, I fear I don't understand. What exactly is the question? What are you doing with the compiler variables in your project?

Friedrich

dbuechel
11-19-2008, 05:21 AM
ok - i have attach a picture - only a test

and attach from wise installation script that we use today

can you see what i need ?

linder
11-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Unfortunately, the attached screenshots are too small (I assume resized by vBulletin). Could you please post it again as JPG?

Friedrich

linder
11-19-2008, 05:28 AM
Or even better as GIF files...

Friedrich

dbuechel
11-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Unfortunately, the attached screenshots are too small (I assume resized by vBulletin). Could you please post it again as JPG?

Friedrich

now

linder
11-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Okay, as I understand it, you are building different installations from the same script. Absolutely no problem in SetupBuilder. You create a "Release" in SetupBuilder and in this Release you set the values for the specific compiler variables. Then you have different compiler variable values for different Releases.

For example, create a Release named ALPEX and set your compiler variable [AUSWAHLTW] to ALPEX. In another Release (e.g. VIEGA) you set [AUSWAHLTW] to VIEGA. And so on...

Do you see what I mean? You can then even call the command line compiler and pass a Release name to the compiler to generate a specific Release. All from the same script!

If you are interested in a demo, let me know and we'll develop a project for you.

Friedrich

linder
11-19-2008, 06:06 AM
I'll post a demo source code project within the next 45 minutes for you...

Friedrich

dbuechel
11-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Okay, as I understand it, you are building different installations from the same script. Absolutely no problem in SetupBuilder. You create a "Release" in SetupBuilder and in this Release you set the values for the specific compiler variables. Then you have different compiler variable values for different Releases.

For example, create a Release named ALPEX and set your compiler variable [AUSWAHLTW] to ALPEX. In another Release (e.g. VIEGA) you set [AUSWAHLTW] to VIEGA. And so on...

Do you see what I mean? You can then even call the command line compiler and pass a Release name to the compiler to generate a specific Release. All from the same script!

If you are interested in a demo, let me know and we'll develop a project for you.

Friedrich

hmmm... i think you not understand how wise and the compiler variable work...

see the attach

the problem that i see is this: "call the command line compiler"

every day 20-30 Setupīs - all from the command line ?!

linder
11-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Well, you did not say that you would like to have an interactive system when you compile. The SetupBuilder system is a completely automated system and quite a few (large) companies are doing more than 500! individual installations per day from the same project script. They don't have the time to click through the Wise dialogs to build their individual installations. They are doing this in an automated batch without any user intervention. We just completed a Consulting Script Writing project that has 100 compiler variables with more than 200 different values. The same script compiles (in a nightly server build) 200+ individual installations with completely different files.

Every day 20-30 Setupīs - all from the command line? No, even more! 500+ in an automated batch process.

So you don't need the demo script, right?

Regards,

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder "point. click. ship"

dbuechel
11-19-2008, 06:50 AM
i have send you a video by email to info@lindersoft.com

all our setup is individuel for every person!

other question:

can i make a INI-file with all my compiler variables - that i read before i build the setup - so that i have a individuell setup?!

linder
11-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Yes, I understand what you are doing. But the point is, this method can only be used if you have to handle a small number of (individual) installations. It's impossible to use it if you have to compile 200 or 500 or even more individual installations (per day) from the same script.

But this idea is not too bad. It should not be a problem to add something like this to SetupBuilder. I'll give it some thoughts for SetupBuilder 7.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Friedrich

dbuechel
11-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Yes, I understand what you are doing. But the point is, this method can only be used if you have to handle a small number of (individual) installations. It's impossible to use it if you have to compile 200 or 500 or even more individual installations (per day) from the same script.

But this idea is not too bad. It should not be a problem to add something like this to SetupBuilder. I'll give it some thoughts for SetupBuilder 7.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Friedrich

not 200 or 500 buildīs per day - only 20-30 ;)

last question:

can you make me demo script how does it work with the setupbuilder 6 ?

I'll give it some thoughts for SetupBuilder 7

^^ nice to read this

linder
12-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Galedon,

SKU Management Wizard added to SetupBuilder 7 beta. This will be part of the next beta build. We'll post some screenshots when the next beta is available.

Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

dbuechel
12-09-2008, 05:01 AM
Galedon,

SKU Management Wizard added to SetupBuilder 7 beta. This will be part of the next beta build. We'll post some screenshots when the next beta is available.

Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

urga - itīs christmas time :)

i canīt wait about the screenshotīs ;)

linder
12-09-2008, 05:07 AM
;)

We'll release the new SB7 beta later today. SKU Management is fully integrated now. I'll post screenshots within the next few hours.

Friedrich

dbuechel
12-10-2008, 07:31 AM
;)

We'll release the new SB7 beta later today. SKU Management is fully integrated now. I'll post screenshots within the next few hours.

Friedrich

i waiting :D

linder
12-10-2008, 08:20 AM
The wait is over ;)

What about the following links:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11315
http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11316

Friedrich

dbuechel
02-06-2009, 01:03 AM
The wait is over ;)

What about the following links:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11315
http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11316

Friedrich

Hey

Question:

When is the version ready that i can tested it!?

db

linder
02-06-2009, 03:01 AM
Hello,

Public trail versions for the new SetupBuilder 7 will be available once it goes Gold. We'll make an announcement within the next two weeks.

Friedrich

Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910