PDA

View Full Version : #1151 - Auto Update Scan - no patching?

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-31-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to patch a big tree. I started with a new, empty project. I run the wizard, and specify C:\sistema seg\Sistema as previous and C:\sistema as current. Both have the same tree below. I look at the "File and Folders" view, and select "Application Folder". When promtped, I select "create binary patch", "Support delayed File install" and "Check file CRC".
1) The script is generated without the patch thing. All lines ends like:
(Always install) [CRC] [Uninstall] instead of (Patch), etc.
2) In the "File and Folders" view there is no refresh of the files just added. So far, closing and reopened the project is the only way I found. Even then, if I try to manually add the patch reference from there, it's not updated in the script.
Am I doing something wrong, or are these bugs?
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
05-31-2005, 07:33 AM
BTW, same new #1151 project; in the script editor, after running the wizard, if I select from "start delayed file install" to "stop delayed file install" (351 lines), and hit the delete key, I get a GPF. Running on Win XP SP2. I tried several times.
If I close the project after running the wizard and reopen, ir doesn't seem to fail.
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-02-2005, 06:26 AM
No answer on this one?
Can somebody confirm?

Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

linder
06-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Jorge,

Sorry, we cannot reproduce this (and we are using this feature on a daily basis).

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Ok, that's good to know. Now, how can I find out what I'm doing wrong?
Can you post a step-by-step example on how to do it?
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

linder
06-02-2005, 06:44 AM
Perhaps you have a different main folder structure? The (main) folder structure of old and new files have to be the same!

For example:

Previous version:

c:\old\clarion6\test.dll
c:\old\clarion6\folder\test.dll

New version:

c:\new\clarion6\test.dll
c:\new\clarion6\folder\test.dll

HTH,

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-02-2005, 08:31 AM
I still can't figured out what's wrong.
I'll write here all the steps I'm taken.
I had something like this:

Previous version:

c:\SisteSeg\dct\...
c:\SisteSeg\win\general\...
c:\SisteSeg\win\pasa\...

New version:

c:\Sistema\dct\...
c:\Sistema\win\general\...
c:\Sistema\win\pasa\...

I open SetupBuilder.
Select "File","new", "empty project". Type in a name (arcolor.sb5).
A wizard pops up (new setup project wizard).
I press "Next", fill up the fields.
"Next", change the destination path to just %PROGRAMFILESDIR%.
"Next", "no" and "no".
"Finish".
Now I have an empty project with a tree below that says "Always install", and "Application folder" under it.
Go to "Project", "Perform auto update scan". A Wizard pops up (Auto update scanning wizard).
I press "next", then in "previous version folder" I enter "C:\Sisteseg". In "New version folder", "C:\Sistema".
"Next", a "please wait" window appears. Nothing happen for a few seconds, then the progress bar go to 100% and says "scan completed".
"Next", a long list of files is presented, preselected.
"Next", I choose "Create binary patch", "Support delayed file install" and "Check file (CRC)".
"Finish"... a window saying "Browse the folder" pops up. On top, I have a drop list that says "Always install". Can't change it. The "ok" button down there is disabled, so I guess I have to choose a carpet in the list. The only one I have to select is "Application folder", so I select it. Now I can press the "Ok" button.
The previous window is shown again, and after a few seconds a message pops up saying "393 items added succesfully".
Now, I'm back in the "File and Folders" view. The tree isn't refreshed. I still see only the "application folder".
Switching to the script editor, under "install files", I have the 393 files between a "Start/Stop delayed install" section, BUT scrolling to the right I can see that every one of them says "[always install]" instead of "patch". If I enter any of them, and go to the "patch" tab, there is nothing there.
If I close the project (prompt to save, say yes), then reopened, hanging below "application Folder" I can see only the folders that have file that changed (that seems ok), but if I pick any file and go to "details", "patch", there is nothing there.

I must do this every day, so going and change the 393 files one by one is not an option...
Ok... I hope you can help me. Where I'm making a mistake?
TIA
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

linder
06-02-2005, 08:45 AM
A few minutes ago we built the new SB5 Professional and Developer Edition patch wothout any problem. The same method was used to generate the Clarion 6.2 patch. At the moment I don't know what you are doing wrong. Could you please send me the generated script?

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Sent to support@.
Meanwhile, I guess I'm going to reinstall SB5 from scratch to see what happens.
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

linder
06-02-2005, 09:18 AM
I would suggest to wait for the new build. It fixes some important bugs!

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Ok. JFY, uninstalled SB5. Erased all remains (I had it under Clarion6).
Reinstalled original purchased but now in proposed folder (under program files), #1120, tried with that all steps, same result.
Updated again to last patch #1151, tried again, same result.
I'll try with the new patch...

Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

linder
06-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Jorge,

I can reproduce a similar problem with #1130, but the new #1154 seems to work fine. The new build is completely compiled with Clarion 6.2 now.

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Great!!
That's a relief. I hope you can release it soon.
Greetings,
Jorge A. Lavera

linder
06-02-2005, 10:01 AM
We'll activate the new WebUpdate build within the next 45 minutes.

Thanks,

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Ok, updated succesfully from #1151 to #1154.
Tried again, and now I have the one file in the root folder ready for patched. The others files in subfolders are not patched, but ready for full install. i.e. it only worked for the root folder (the one that has different name). It didn't work for the folders with the same name hanging from that one.
Is this a clue for something?
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-03-2005, 01:27 AM
I can confirm that now (#1154) there is some problem with the subfolders only. If I choose a subfolder as previous and new folders, then all the files inside THAT folder appears as "(patch)" in the script, but those BELOW that folders appears as "(always install)" only.
HTH
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

linder
06-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Jorge,

Please make sure the sub-folder names are the same for previous and new files.

For example:

Previous:
c:\file_pool\full\dev\1151
c:\file_pool\full\dev\1151\Bin
c:\file_pool\full\dev\1151\Lib

New:

c:\file_pool\full\dev\1154
c:\file_pool\full\dev\1154\Bin
c:\file_pool\full\dev\1154\Lib

If it does not create a patch object, then the wizard was unable to find a previous version and adds the files (no patching).

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi, Linder.
I'm sure.
Well, mine is not the same as your example, but in the form of:
Previous
c:\1151\full\dev\win
c:\1151\full\dev\win\bin
c:\1151\full\dev\win\lib
and New:
c:\1154\full\dev\win
c:\1154\full\dev\win\bin
c:\1154\full\dev\win\lib

I select the wizard from c:\1151 to c:\1154.
Shoudn't this work?
Actually is patching only those diferent from the root c:\1154 to c:\1151, but it does NOT patch those under
c:\1154\full
c:\1154\full\dev
c:\1154\full\dev\win
c:\1154\full\dev\win\bin and

These 5 folders are being filled with "(always install)" files. But not EVERY file on those folders, but only those that are in the new and in the previous ones, so there IS some finding involved. It find enough to pick only the modified files (~400 out of 2000) but they are not flagged as "patch" (only in the root).
Running again the wizard, IF instead of from c:\1151 to c:\1154 I pick for example from previous c:\1151\full\dev\win
to New c:\1154\full\dev\win then the folder "win" is correctly patched, but files on
c:\1154\full\dev\win\bin and
are picked as different but not flagged as patched.

Any clue?
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

linder
06-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Jorge,

We have tested this on five different machines (Win2000, XP Home and Pro, SP2). We cannot reproduce this here :-(

Would it be possible to zip-up a simple old files/new files directory tree and then send this to us?

Our test project generated 1,756 patch files (located in 67 sub-folders).

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi, Linder.
Just a follow up...
I tried again today, and of course, it worked perfectly.
I did the same I was doing before.
Go figure...
JFYTN
Greetings,
Jorge Lavera

Jorge Alejandro Lavera
06-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Sorry, that was
Just For You To Know
(Was was that? Just for you to new? Just for you to now? Should be sleeping now) :)