PDA

View Full Version : Question: Making automated builds with custom individual serial numbers

cying
06-07-2005, 02:32 AM
Hi all,

We're building a consumer Windows desktop application and have heard good things about SetupBuilder.

One of our requirements is for each of our downloaded setup executables to be individually customized with a short ASCII string (a user specific serial number) of between 32 and 128 bytes long containing some individual information about the download. We would like this information to be read or extracted by the installer.

One could describe a hack solution for this is to append the built EXE with the string, or to be able to repackage the EXE on the fly (adding an additional file to the installer manifest). Since our download generating web server will be on a UNIX hosted system any many downloads are available per minute, we would like this operation to be as efficient and portable as possible.

Does anyone know if SetupBuilder could support a requirement like this? I'm waiting for a trial version of the software to test this out, but was wondering if anyone can think of any solution using SetupBuilder.

Thanks,
Charles

linder
06-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Hi Charles,

Thank you for your message.

Yes, we can individually customized an existing setup.exe with 1 x 255 bytes and 2 x 100 bytes. You can then use this information in our script language. For example, you customize an existing setup.exe with a 1234TEST1234 ASCII string. This value is available in a variable from within the setup script.

The problem I see is that the software tool to "customize" this existing setup.exe is a Windows application. If you are interested, please contact me via private email at friedrich (at) lindersoft (dot) com

Thanks,