PDA

View Full Version : Using SB5 now

Robert Paresi
06-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Giong to start using SB5 now ...

a) How does I get all my SB4's into SB5's -- I have over 10 projects, all of which have a lot of 'stuff' .... I don't want to have to create it all over again.

b) Where's the comparison between Professional and Development - which one is better?

Thank you.

NewsArchive
06-08-2005, 03:41 AM
Robert,

Of course, you can still use your old SB4 installations (there is nothing wrong with that). Because SB5 gives you so much more power and flexibility, it's wise to "rethink" some distribution projects.

If you create new projects, I would consider SB5.

SB5 cannot open SB4 files. SB5 has a different philosophy regarding the project management (and feature set). SB5 is completely "script driven". SB4.x projects are limited because they are based on a sequential database driven processing model. Something like the following:

1) Display GUI (Welcome -> Readme -> License -> etc.)
2) Install Files
3) Write Registry/INI Entries
4) Perform Actions
5) Run Programs

In contrast to SB4, the new SB5 is completely script driven. Would you like to display the License Agreement before your Welcome dialog? No problem. Or read some values out of the Registry and based on this information display different sets of wizard dialogs. With SB5 you can do it. SB5 supports IF..THEN..ELSE and LOOP control structures to provide looping and conditional execution of installation components.

You can now use the *same* script to compile *different* versions of your installer (e.g. full or upgrade image). The SB5 preprocessor can conditionally include lines of code within an installer program. The directives that include code conditionally are defined in such a way that you can construct a chain of inclusion directives to include exactly the functions you want.

In addition to all functions found in SetupBuilder 5.0 Professional, the Developer Edition flagship provides advanced features such as WebInstall and WebUpdate (live update) for creating dynamic Internet-based installations (powered by iDeploy), Integrated Visual Debugger, multi-language support, customizable Uninstaller, MultiVersion file updater (multi-version patch), Delayed File Install support, Windows Services support, Serial Number Generator, built-in support for Authenticode Digital Signatures, HTTP Post and File Downloading functions, AutoUpdate Generator, Online Registration, Serial Number Generator, Dynamic Scanning, Zip and Unzipping, built-in installation support for SoftVelocity's IP Data Server (IPDS), MapDrive and NetShare functions.

Does this help?

Unregistered
06-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Well, I understand that this is new - however, I have 10+ products (roomMaster, iQ-Anywhere, roomMaster.net, IQ-Messenger, iQ-XML, Distribution roomMaster.net, Web roomMaster.net, Zipcode Library, etc.) .... going to SetupBuilder 5, I have to create all new installation projects for these --- which takes time. I am just interested in installation programs ... no need to special scripts or things at this time.

While I understand that it is easy to do development on new technologies and move forward, conversion applications of some type should have been done.

Even if it was as simple as reading the sb4 file and setting up sb5 and then allowing the user to then take advantage of the new features later on.

In my humble opinion, because I know already how hard you work and I think it is very comendable, but a simple conversion from your old product to your new product should have been part of your development.

It's too late now, I'll spend the next few days converting my projects up ... however, if you come out with future versions (sb6), I think you should make sure that a conversion is part of the development.

Unregistered
06-08-2005, 08:23 AM
By the way ... in SB5, I want to make sure that all inuse files are checked before the installation starts.

I can't find that option anymore.

NewsArchive
06-08-2005, 08:29 AM
If it would be that easy. Conversion from SB4 to SB5 was not part of the development because it's simply not possible! Try to convert VB to VB.NET <g> There is no "open project and convert to VB.NET" feature to do this.

SB5 to SB6 and SB7 is no problem because we are script driven now - behind the scenes is a complete (drag and drop) installation language now. We had two choices: 1) stay with the old model and die or 2) develop the new (incompatible) technology to deliver a product that is fit for the future. It took more than 3 1/2 years to develop SB5.

Just curious: if you are just interested in installation programs (no need to special scripts or things at this time) why do you move to SB5?

Regards,

Friedrich Linder
CEO, Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder 5

Unregistered
06-08-2005, 08:35 AM
I am moving to SB5 because you will no longer support SB4. (mostly operating system, service pack warnings)

Converting from VB to VB.NET is a programming language - different than converting an application ... but doesn't matter.

linder
06-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Because SB5 is script driven now, the installer engine does not know which files to check before the installation starts.

For example, you can now use:

If Yada = 0 Then
Install File A
ElseIf Yada = 1 Then
Install File B
etc.

To handle this situation, put a "Start Delayed File Install" and a "Stop Delayed File Install" around your installation files.

You can also use the If File/Folder script item to check if a file is locked.

Does this help?

linder
06-08-2005, 08:42 AM
That's the point. SB5 (powered by SetupScript) is now an installation programming language. It took 3 1/2 years to develop SB5 - another 2 month to develop a simple conversion would not have been a problem. But it is not possible (from the technical point of view).

Unregistered
06-08-2005, 08:48 AM
In my environment, we have 1000's of installations. These installations have departments and multiple applications are running at the same time. It is a busy environment.

You can't check inuse files as they are being installed and rolled back. Because if you get half way through and something is found to be in-use, you can't start rolling back an application while users are in system, or people are using the web/IIS functions.

I have files simply that need to be installed. I understand this is now script driven .... but I guess this (SetupBuilder 5) is now overkill for what I need to do..... which is "Install an application".

All files must be checked for in-use before an installation starts, or the installation cannot start - or it will cause an integrity issue. Then, once all the files are Not In Use, it is at that point I do a backup of the system so I know there is a checkpoint. Rollback doesn't help in this case because all TPS files and database files have to be part of the checkpoint - even if the installer doesn't touch them.

Sounds like SB5 is now overkill and SB4 is no longer supported. I understand the complexity is needed for some people ... but it sure doesn't sound like "Point, Click, Ship" ---

I need to check if all files are inuse that are attached to the build project, simple as that before an installation even begins to start replacing files. Would like to do that without having to write 'code' or 'scripts' for all my installation projects.

If this can't be done, let me know.

linder
06-08-2005, 09:04 AM
"Start Delayed File Install" and "Stop Delayed File Install" make sure no file is replaced or installed on the user system before the script engine made sure that all files can be written. Where is this not "Point, Click, Ship"?

You start your installation and the installation process begins. The delayed file install makes sure that all files are written into a temporary folder and files to be replaced are checked. No other installation system supports such a feature! If all files can be written, the installer replaces the files. If there where locked files detected, the rollback process removes the files from the temporary folder (no files on the target machine were modified).

And this is not "Point, Click, Ship"?

Unregistered
06-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I need. - You said I had to write a script in the previous posting....but this seems like it is just the checkboxes. If it is just the checkboxes, then yes, it is point, click, ship.

linder
06-08-2005, 09:22 AM
You only have to put the delayed file install functions around your file list. Drag the delayed file function from the Script Items list and drop it to the beginning of your file list and another one to the end of your list. That's it. The compiler will do all the dirty work for you :)

BTW, the same function makes sure that all files in a WebInstall or WebUpdate are downloaded (no transmission error) and can be written (no locked files).

Unregistered
06-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Well - never mind.

"This function is not available in the Clarion or Professional versions of the SetupBuilder Installation System."

I had this feature I guess in my SB4 but I have professional edition of SB5, so I can't do it.