PDA

View Full Version : Best method of Code Signing using COMODO

Doug I
02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I have been using COMODO's code signing certificate without major problems over the last year. Now that my license expired, I am about to buy a license thru Lindersoft's great deal.

I noticed that there is a new compiler directive #code-sign, and not sure what to make of it versus the way I did it before thru the Project Settings... Digital Signatures Tab.

The only small inconvenience I ever had before was with running my scripts thru a batch file and having to answer the password prompt for the key. I overcame this with a program called signcode-pwd.exe which typed the password in automatically when the window popped up. It works well for the most part.

However, is it cleaner now to use the #code-sign command now within the script? Where is the best place to put this command in the script?

Also, when I go to fill out the code signing form, there are two options that I am not 100% sure how to answer. Please see image and tell me if there is a preferred setting for the CSP and Key Filename selection. I want it to work as seamless as possible thru SB.

Thanks
Doug

andrea
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Doug,

The "#code-sign aplication" directive lets you code-sign your application file(s) - DLLs, EXEs, etc. The Project Settings -Digital Signatures Tab gives you control over the code-sign for your installer and uninstaller (compiler variables are supported).

When requesting a Comodo certificate, I would suggest to use the default settings.

This is an interesting video:
http://www.datadownunder.com.au/lindersoft/ComodoPurchaseDemo.html

Hope this helps!

andrea
02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
BTW, I would suggest to not use in the CPS option! Use "In the File" instead.

Doug I
02-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Andrea,

I watched the video and it was helpful. However, the form I have to fill out is slightly different than the video.

It appears the 2048 is now the default. But the Keyfile name does not default to the same value in the video. The Video suggests to use the "In the File" radio option.

Just thought you should know that.

Doug