PDA

View Full Version : Comodo and code signing Frustrations! :(

Doug I
03-01-2008, 03:06 PM
This is a bit offtopic, but it gets my goat when this code signing BS continues to find ways to aggravate the software developer who is just trying to do the right thing with authenticating the product downloads.

Why does a code signing certificate have anything to do with who is the owner of the domain of your contact email address?

In other words, you won't get a code signing certificate if your email is doug@anydomain.com and the WHOIS registry for anydomain.com does not match your company details.

I had a code signing certificate from Comodo that just expired and this is their new policy now. It's just plain dumb. My domain does happen be owned by me, but I use a private registration feature which hides my name from the WHOIS database. There are ways around this that will cost me money or time to circumvent Comodo's validation requests. But I shouldn't have to jump hoops.

Code signing certificates seem to act the same as an SSL certificate, but want to charge the software developer 2-3x more for something that is designed to only authenticate software. That is pathetic.

Just wanted to vent my frustrations!!! The only thing I'm glad about is that I saved a bundle thru Lindersoft. Thanks Friedrich for this very nice treat you provided your customer base. A real bonus in lieue of the madness of code signing!

Doug