PDA

View Full Version : Validating Serial Numbers

Trevor Keegan
03-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi,

Another beginners question.....regarding the use of Serial Numbers in SB.

I would like to know, is there some way for my application to be able to access the information from the Serial Number (e.g. DLL etc) ? (I am using Borland C++ Builder). I believe that the if the application wanted to register itself using the serial numbers, then we could just write a script to do that.

It would seem a bit of a pity if after doing the registration, there is a need to do another registration to give the application the information.....or is the idea, that the installation would pass the necessary information to the application......or am I missing something here.

Regards
Trevor Keegan

Regards
Trevor Keegan

linder
03-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Trevor,

The built-in serial number and subscription features are there to protect your installation. It's not an application license protection (e.g. Armadillo) system!

If you are using the setupPROTECT features, your users can't install/update your product without a valid serial number and/or subscription key.

Does this help?

Friedrich

tkeegan
03-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Hello Friedrich,

OK....yes I understand....I have noticed that I similar question had been asked before, and you had suggested to just write a simple script to validate the serial number.

But I guess that if I want my application to have access to this, then I should probably consider writing my on Serial Number validation routine/dll.

Regards
Trevor Keegan