PDA

View Full Version : Using FUNCTION:Detect Previous Version

Doug I
03-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi,

While working on my scripts, I ran across the command "Detect Previous Version". Can someone elaborate on how this works?

I have been forever using an outdated technique of dropping an INI file in the Windows folder which records the path the product was installed on.

From the docs, this command seems to imply that the program path is already recorded in the Registry.

Is this install path registry value automatically done after each install OR does this command work in conjunction with another SB command that must be placed in the script as well?

Does this technique work on all 2000/XP/Vista/2003/2008 OS?

TIA,
Doug

linder
03-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Doug,

If you have the "Use Add/Remove Programs" (the default) option enabled, then the Product GUID and required information is automatically written to the Windows registry. The next SetupBuilder install/update can then use the "Detect Previous Version" function to detect the path (and version) of a previously distributed version of your product. This works on all 95/98/Me and NT4/2000/XP/Vista/2003/2008 OS.

Hope his helps.

Friedrich

Doug I
03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Wow... its hard to believe that someone can be in total Awe of their software installer program, but this product just rocks!

Thanks Linder

linder
03-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Thank you :)

Friedrich