PDA

View Full Version : Setting Registry Key

LoboMgr
12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm trying to change Internet Explorer's download directory by modifying the registry key. It looks like the granularity when changing a key is on the root key, is that right? 'cause just to change/save this one key, pulls down all the rest of the root key's info... about a hundred lines/keys.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thx.

linder
12-06-2005, 04:36 AM
Because this is a Internet Explorer question, the following is just my .02

I think you only have to change the following value data:

User Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Value Name: Download Directory
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: Qualified Directory

LoboMgr
12-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Because this is a Internet Explorer question, the following is just my .02

I think you only have to change the following value data:

User Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Value Name: Download Directory
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: Qualified Directory

Allow me to explain a little more carefully...

Yes, the Download Directory registry key is the one that I want to change. I assume that because it already exists, I should import the registry and change it which will create the proper scripting. Unfortunately, under the [ Edit Registry ] section, it looks like the entire root key's changes are scripted - about 150 keys.

This is what I'm doing:
- Using regedit, export the registry to a file (testreg.reg)
- Start up SetupBuilder Developer with a new (test) project
- Select the Registry Tab
- Right Mouse Click on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", and [Import REG File...]
- Navigate to the "Download Directory" key, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer, and change it

NOW, when I switch to the "Script Editor" View, I have 150+ keys besides my "Download Directory" key. Every HKCU (HKEY_CURRENT_USER) registry key is specified to be set.

I noticed that when I try to delete unimportant keys, SB5 deletes all the keys on a 'script' granularity. I am able to comment-out unimportant keys, but the task is burdensome for 150+ keys.

Are there any tricks or procedures that I'm missing?

Thx

linder
12-06-2005, 10:25 AM
You only have to modify *one* value. No need to import the whole key structure. YOu can use the Edit Registry script function or the visual interface to handle this.

The script automatically provides a registry key integrity feature (if you download a parent then it also downlods its childs).

Does this help?

LoboMgr
12-06-2005, 10:53 AM
You only have to modify *one* value. No need to import the whole key structure. YOu can use the Edit Registry script function or the visual interface to handle this.

The script automatically provides a registry key integrity feature (if you download a parent then it also downlods its childs).

Does this help?

Ahhh yes, perfect! Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees. I appreciate SetupBuilder's ease of use, but there's a lot to take in all at once and my head is spinning. The registry key integrity feature is good information.

Many Thanks!