PDA

View Full Version : XP Installs with "User" Privileges

flashpot
03-31-2008, 02:46 PM
I have a package I would like to deploy to computers "locked down" under active directory in Windows XP. Currently, I have 62 computers to maintain but expect that will increase to 180+. To install, I have to log onto each computer as administrator and install the package. I would like to be able to allow the users to install the package when advised it is available. All files will be written to folders where the user has rights, and no files will be registered or written to the Windows/System32 folder.

Currently, regardless of what I do, I get a window that says I have to have administrative rights to run the install. I have tried setting the "RequestedExecutionLevel" variable to "asInvoker" or "HighestAvailable" to no avail (it is noted in the docs that this is for Vista only).

I have disabled every feature within SetupBuilder that I can think of that would require administrative rights, but I still get the error message.

Is there a way to create an installation package for a standard user to self-install?

linder
04-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Rob,

You have enabled the "User Privilege Requirements" check in your project.

See Requirements Visualizer -> User Privilege Requirements -> Administrator Rights. You have marked this checkbox.

The above message "You must be logged in as administrator when installing this program" is displayed if you have enabled Administrator Rights checking and the installer is running on an account that does not have administrator rights.

Does this help?

Friedrich

flashpot
04-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Friedrich,

That did the trick. I feel like such a user! It didn't show up on the summary so I missed it completely. Now, for the next trick. Where is the %PRIVILEGES% variable defined? I would like to install and register some programs if the user is an administrator and bypass them otherwise. I have defined a variable switch at the top of the script but that requires that I keep two installation packages current. I would prefer to have the system auto-detect.

I set up a dialog box at the top of the script so I could see the settings of the %PRIVILEGES% variable but received an error that the variable was undefined. I attempted to display the value in {PRIVILEGES} but the system displayed {PRIVILEGES} literally. There is not much in the help or the manual that describes it.

I love this program - it is just so flexible. It will reduce my support requirements immensely!:D

linder
04-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Rob,

That did the trick. I feel like such a user! It didn't show up on the summary so I missed it completely. Now, for the next trick. Where is the %PRIVILEGES% variable defined? I would like to install and register some programs if the user is an administrator and bypass them otherwise. I have defined a variable switch at the top of the script but that requires that I keep two installation packages current. I would prefer to have the system auto-detect.

:)

You can do:

If %PRIVILEGES% Equals "Admin" Then
Display Message Box "Yor are the Admin" -- ""
End

The installer automatically defines the %PRIVILEGES% variable at startup. I set up a dialog box at the top of the script so I could see the settings of the %PRIVILEGES% variable but received an error that the variable was undefined. I attempted to display the value in {PRIVILEGES} but the system displayed {PRIVILEGES} literally. There is not much in the help or the manual that describes it.

There is no need to define that variable. It automatically holds one of the following values: Guest, User, Power, Admin

And you can do something like the following:

If %_SB_INSTALLERFLAG% Equals "1" on Position "$SB_ADMINISTRATORFLAG$" Then
Display Message Box "You have Admin privileges" -- "Admin Mode"
End

I love this program - it is just so flexible. It will reduce my support requirements immensely!:D

Thank you so much for your kind words :)

Friedrich

flashpot
04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Friedrich,

That worked just fine. Back to one installation baseline package that works with limited rights (with the exception of registering a few COM DLLs that were previously installed) or with full admin rights which will install everything.

Fantastic! Thanks!

Rob

linder
04-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Rob,

Great!!! You are welcome :)

Friedrich