PDA

View Full Version : Installing A Service

smh_2007
04-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi To All,

I have an install that appears to successfully install two services, developed in-house to assist in running our app. I use the Create Service function and then I use the Edit Service function and select start service. When the install is finished, I do see that both services are installed and started. When I try to use a program that would use one of these services, that's when I have an issue. The program starts and you can enter some data but, when you click on a button that you would expect to interact with the service it doesn't work. I get no error message, just nothing happens. If I restart the service, all is well. I do not fill in the Login Username field in the Create Service properties page. When I get the properties of the installed service the login user is local system account. Do you think this could be the problem? If so, do I just type in local system account?

Thanks for all the help, I sincerely appreciate it!

Sharon

linder
04-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Sharon,

Is this on XP or Vista/2008?

Friedrich

smh_2007
04-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Right now I'm installing on XP professional bu, the install needs to run on Windows Server 2003/2008 and Vista.

Thanks,

Sharon

linder
04-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Sharon,

Unfortunately, I have no idea :( If you see that the service is installed and running then it's "something" with the service itself. It's not caused by the installation process.

Friedrich

smh_2007
04-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Thanks for trying. I'll keep plugging away.

Sharon

linder
04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Sharon,

If possible, please keep us posted!

Friedrich

smh_2007
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi Friedrich,

I had to change some of the programming not only in the services but, the applications that used them.

The services have a dependency of MSMQ. The services were creating private queues without assigning permissions explicitly. When the applications tried to interact with the queues they didn't have the right permissions to do so. Once you have a service interacting with MSMQ, the service is elevated to System so that even a user with administrator privleges is out of luck. Instead of the services creating the queues I now have the applications creating the queues and setting permissions in code. All is good but, it has been a little bit of an adventure!

Thanks for all the support,

Sharon

linder
04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi Sharon,

Interesting! Thanks for the information :)

Friedrich