PDA

View Full Version : Msde

Unregistered
12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I searched the forum and found a number of threads about installing MSDE, but they all seemed to be unanswered. I know I can go to the MS site and probably figure it out, but it would be nice if there was a short explanation, either in a forum post or a FAQ. Every minute saved helps.

linder
12-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Hello,

Microsoft recommends to use their "standard" installation executables (can
be run in silent mode) to install MSDE.

For example, you can download the engine here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q324998

Dees this help?

Unregistered
12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
I would write a wrapper exe to install MSDE. Then either let the user run the wrapper OR execute it from SB. Here is a snippet of code from a claion program:
Run(Clip(Command(1)) & 'msderelA\setup.exe sapwd="yourpassword" SECURITYMODE=SQL INSTANCENAME="whateveryouchoose" DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0',1)

Command(1) is the drive letter where the install is running from.
ie
INSTALLDB.EXE D:\
and I have a directory on the CD called msdelrelA.

The install for MSDE is totally command line driven.

Installing SQL2005 Express is easier because it uses a template to provide the parameters instead of command line. BUT, it requires .net20 and Windows Installer 3.0 to be installed first. I would include both of those files on the CD also. I still use a wrapper (a batch file). Here is the code:
Start /wait SQLEXPRESS2005\Setup.exe /qb /settings %CD%SQLEXPRESS2005\template.ini

(All of the above needs to be one line)
HTH,
Daryl

linder
12-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Very interesting... Thanks for sharing, Daryl.

Unregistered
12-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks, but I don't use Clarion. Also I have already looked at the articles on MSDN, and I find them to be a little confusing - there are multiple articles, and some of them talk about bulding MSIs (which SetupBuilder doesn't do) and merging modules (which apparently is no longer recommended by MS).

I know this is something I can figure out in 8 hours, I just thought maybe since installing MSDE must be done all the time by existing SB customers, someone might have a ready-made solution to save me a day. Right now a day is a big deal.

linder
12-18-2005, 11:59 PM
So Daryl's MSDE installation description does not help? It's not Clarion specific. Run is an equivalent to the SB5 Run Program script function.

You only have to run the MSDE installation from within your SetupBuilder script. I'll see if we can provide an "Include Script" to automate this in one of the next builds.

Unregistered
12-20-2005, 08:47 PM
>> It's not Clarion specific

Aw, thanks for that clarification, with apologies to Daryl.

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I have now purchased SB5. I have to have this done by Monday or I turn into a pumpkin. (seriously). Still need some help.

1) When I decompress the MSDE download from MS, I get \MSDE, \MSDE\Msi, and \MSDE\Setup folders. It's not clear to me (even after reading the docs), what of all these files I need to include with my setup program.

2) Is SB going to conveniently package all of my files into a single .exe?

3) When I build a Run command, SB defaults to %_SB_INSTALLDIR%. This seems a strange choice to me, as obviously I do not want to "install" the MSDE setup files to the target machine, I just need to run the MSDE setup. What should I set the target folder to?

4) >> Command(1) is the drive letter where the install is running from.
I don't understand what Command is here. It's not a SB script action, so far as I can tell.

5) This URL explains how to call a couple of functions to make sure that MSDE setup should succeed. I suppose I could live without, but it would be nice to call these and inform the user if one of them fails.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/distsql/distsql_3g89.asp

6) What are the advantages, if any, to choosing ShellExecuteEx?

7) Will you guys just go ahead and automate this whole deal like Wise has? That sure would make things easier for me. I have put this off too long and I've got to get it done soon.

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Let me just add, honestly, it would be interesting to know how many people have paid another $400 for Wise just because they have made the MSDE installation point-and-click (as well as running SQL scripts).

LSConsulting
01-13-2006, 01:32 AM
PMFJI: Did you read the manual or online help? We are installing MSDE 2000 without any problem from our SetupBuilder 5 installation. It took me 15 minutes to write the MSDE installation script (we are using an include script). We have 80 sites running our application now. Installation worked perfect!

Andrew

LSConsulting
01-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Are you kidding?

Andrew

linder
01-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Hello,

1) We have an experimental MSDE 2000A include script available to automate MSDE installation. Our goal is to add this to the next SetupBuilder 5.3 update. If you are interested, please send your email address to support (at) lindersoft (dot) com and we'll provide you with the include script.

2) You can package all files into a single setup.exe or copy files from CD/DVD. The above MSDE include script packages all files into a single setup.exe. All temporary MSDE files are removed after the installation process.

3) You can use any variable or location here. Most applications are executed from within the installation folder.

4) Sorry, but I cannot find "Command(1)". Is this in our documentation or the application?

5) See 1)

6) See Windows ShellExecute API documentation. This function performs an action on a file. The file can be an executable file or a document. The application associated with the extension of the file name will be opened.

7) See 1)

Does this help?

linder
01-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Please see my previous post.

Regards,

Unregistered
01-13-2006, 07:58 AM
PMFJI: Did you read the manual or online help? We are installing MSDE 2000 without any problem from our SetupBuilder 5 installation. It took me 15 minutes to write the MSDE installation script (we are using an include script). We have 80 sites running our application now. Installation worked perfect!

Andrew

Awesome! Are you willing to share the include script?

LSConsulting
01-13-2006, 08:04 AM
Our include script also performs some product-specific actions. But Freidrich posted that SetupBuilder 5.3 will come with a MSDE include script.

Andrew

Unregistered
01-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Are you kidding?

Andrew

Sorry, didn't catch what this was in reference to.

Unregistered
01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Friedrich, your script sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, and I will send you an email. I'll also be happy to give you feedback on it or tweak it further myself for my own needs without bothering you.

Thanks.
Jim

Unregistered
01-13-2006, 08:46 AM
By the way, I just want to add that in many ways the product is quite easy to use and I am happy with it.