PDA

View Full Version : New user, ftp download in setup

MikePreble
04-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm very new to SetupBuilder and need help setting up an FTP download while a user runs through the install exe.

Do I need to enable and use Web Deployment or can I just put

Download File from "ftp://username:password@domain:21/RB_Updates//RB_Update.zip" to "%_SB_INSTALLDIR%\Data" [no-cache]

in the Install Files section of the script?

I don't think I want to use Web Deployment because I just want the user to download and unzip the specified file.

Help!

andrea
04-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Mike,

What you do is you try to download from a FTP server. Your FTP server does not support HTTP ;-)

The function is called "Download File (HTTP)..." and requires a standard HTTP web server.

From the manual:

"The Download File (HTTP) function lets you download a file from a HTTP server at any point during the installation process."

Does this help?

MikePreble
04-08-2008, 02:10 PM
What if I give the dns address and specify the port to 21?

It works if I browse to it through IE/Exlporer.

andrea
04-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, because Internet Explorer uses FTP to download from a ftp:// server ;-)

http:// specifies a HTTP server, ftp:// specifies a FTP server. FTP and HTTP are completely different protocols! But I am sure you have a standard HTTP server. You upload your files via FTP to your web server and the world downloads from your HTTP server.

Does this help?

andrea
04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
By the way, quite a few companies do not allow FTP access, and the ports on the firewall defined for FTP are blocked. Many proxy server do not allow FTP traffic. In other words, downloads via FTP would result in a complete support nightmare for you!

That's why HTTP download is the way to go!