PDA

View Full Version : In use files deleted after reboot

Michel
05-21-2008, 01:57 AM
I got a quick question,

My installer needs to replace some files but it seems like te files are locked. So the setup wants to reboot.

The registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Se ssion Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations looks like this:

\??\C:\pos\crw.win\c60xmlty.dll
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB67F2F.tmp
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\c60xmlty.dll
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\LSPUZIPX.DLL
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB67F41.tmp
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\LSPUZIPX.DLL
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\c60cpxml.dll
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB6803D.tmp
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\c60cpxml.dll
\??\C:\pos\Winedi\winedi.exe
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB6828F.tmp
\??\C:\pos\Winedi\winedi.exe
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\C60ASCX.DLL
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB68955.tmp
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\C60ASCX.DLL
\??\C:\JDS\JDSEDI.EXE
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB68E95.tmp
\??\C:\JDS\JDSEDI.EXE
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\C60DOSX.DLL
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB692AB.tmp
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\C60DOSX.DLL
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\C60PRNTX.EXE
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB69397.tmp
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\C60PRNTX.EXE
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\C60RUNX.DLL
\??\C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\SB694F0.tmp
\??\C:\pos\crw.win\C60RUNX.DLL

But after the reboot the files that we want to replace/rename are deleted from the system.

Any thoughts why this happens?

Working SB 6.7.2219.0

Michel

linder
05-21-2008, 02:02 AM
Michel,

Sorry, I have no idea. Windows replaces the files during the reboot process, not SetupBuilder.

Do you still see the .tmp files in your C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\ folder?

Friedrich

Michel
05-21-2008, 02:13 AM
Michel,

Sorry, I have no idea. Windows replaces the files during the reboot process, not SetupBuilder.

Do you still see the .tmp files in your C:\Users\michel\AppData\Local\Temp\ folder?

Friedrich

Hi there Friedrich,

The files in the temp dir are deleted. It looks likes the files were locked by another station. Is there a way in SB to check if the files that need to be replaced are locked by the system the installer runs on? Otherwise a reboot will only help if the installers runs on the server. But still strange the files are gone after the reboot.

Can' t seem to figure this one out.....

Michel

linder
05-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi Michel,

What you can do is, you can use the "Detect Active Application..." to find out if an application is active. But this would only work on your "workstation". As I understand it, you are trying to replace files on a server and you don't know if another station "locks" files on that server, right?

Another option is the "Delayed File Install" function. This feature can detect (before the real copy files process takes place) if files are locked. If this is the case, it will abort the installation.

What do you think?

Friedrich

Michel
05-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Hi Friedrich,

I will look into this, this could be what I' m looking for. I will keep you posted

Thanks

Michel

linder
05-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Thank you, Michel :)

Friedrich

Michel
05-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Hi Friedrich,

We found the problem. It is a right problem. Is it possible to change the location for the pending file rename files? Lets say like a temp dir in the install dir?

Thanks,

Michel

linder
05-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Michel,

The installer automatically uses the path of the directory designated for temporary files. The path comes directly from the GetTempPath Windows API.

It's not possible to set the temporary files folder.

Friedrich