PDA

View Full Version : Getting info from a dialog box

dewhead
06-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi,

I've been playing with SetupBuilder for the last couple of days and have been able to get it to do almost everything I need but I'm having problems with one last thing.

My project installs a service via the web installer. Then I'm using the web update to update the service automatically without any user intervention. All this works okay except for installations behind a proxy server.

The initial installation over the web gets the info for the proxy server using the Connect To Internet dialog box. I need a way to save the proxy server info and pass it into the web update utility.

I could save the information in the registry or possibly write it to an ini file and read it back in with the Read Proxy Server Info FIle but I don't see how to get the information from the dialog box. Is there a way to do this?

andrea
06-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Hello,

I think the "Read Proxy Server Info File..." function can be used to read the proxy information. But your question is how to write the proxy information (into an INI file), correct?

Thanks,

dewhead
06-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Yes exactly. I don't see a way for the script to get the values from the Connect To Internet dialog box. Is there a way to do this and I'm just not seeing it?

andrea
06-12-2008, 07:57 AM
This is a very good question. I have forwarded this to our development and get back to you. I have an idea how this can be done but have to check this...

I'll let you know ASAP.

dewhead
06-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the quick response! I'm looking forward to your answer.

linder
06-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Hello,

Hmmm, a "Web Update" can automatically write the proxy server information to an INI file, but a web installation or initial installation can not do it (at the moment). But this is a good idea. We'll add a function to the upcoming maintenance build that allows you to write the proxy server information to an INI file.

Thank you for your suggestion!

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

dewhead
06-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks!

Not to be impertinent but can I ask when the next maintenance build will be released?

Also, SetupBuilder is a great program. It's so easy to use and has already saved me bundles of time. And the response time from the support team is unbelievably quick! You're doing an outstanding job! I wish more software vendors were as good as you.

linder
06-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks!

Not to be impertinent but can I ask when the next maintenance build will be released?

Our goal was to make the new maintenance build available tomorrow. But we have added preliminary support for Windows 7 to SetupBuilder 6.8 and want to be able to regress test it over the weekend. This delay gives us enough time to add the "write proxy information" feature.

The "SetupBuilder 6.8 June 2008 Update" maintenance release is scheduled for next Tuesday now. Would this be okay for you?

Also, SetupBuilder is a great program. It's so easy to use and has already saved me bundles of time. And the response time from the support team is unbelievably quick! You're doing an outstanding job! I wish more software vendors were as good as you.

Thanks so much for your kind words!

Friedrich

dewhead
06-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Next Tuesday will be great! I was afraid it would be next month or even further off. Tuesday will be fantastic!

Thanks again!

linder
06-12-2008, 08:31 AM
:)

We'll post a message when the new build is available.

Friedrich

linder
06-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Hello,

We are just preparing the installation and web update images. The new SetupBuilder 6.8 Build 2266 will be available tomorrow (Wednesday, June 18, 2008).

We have added a new "Write Proxy Server Info File..." script function.

Friedrich

dewhead
06-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I downloaded the new version and I see the "Write Proxy Server Info File..."! Thanks so much!

However, I do have one other little question with regards to this. I'm a little confused about how & when the various script sections are executed. I'm not sure if it's just a linear flow or if different sections are executed at different times in response to triggers.

So I'd like to ask where is the best place to put the "Write Proxy Server Info File..." command? In the [ User Interface ] section? Or in the [ Modify System ] section? Or somewhere else entirely?

linder
06-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Hello,

You are right. We should have provided more information.

Yes, SetupScript is completely from "top to bottom". It is sequential with a great degree of run time flow control possible.

I would place it in the [ Modify System ] section. But you can place it wherever you want - just make sure it's after the Loop Wizard that displays the "Connect to Internet" wizard dialog.

Does this help?

Friedrich

dewhead
06-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Yes, thanks. That's kind of where I thought it should go but I didn't know for sure.

I don't have a proxy server here to test with (a customer of ours who is out today will test it for me) so when I go through the install I do not enter any proxy info. When the install completes the proxy server info file is NOT created. Will the proxy server info file only get created when proxy server info is entered (it's fine if it works this way, I just wanted to verify it was working as intended)?

Again thanks for your prompt responses! I really like Setup Builder. It is a Godsend!

Thanks,
Linney

linder
06-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Linney,

Yes, thanks. That's kind of where I thought it should go but I didn't know for sure.

I don't have a proxy server here to test with (a customer of ours who is out today will test it for me) so when I go through the install I do not enter any proxy info. When the install completes the proxy server info file is NOT created. Will the proxy server info file only get created when proxy server info is entered (it's fine if it works this way, I just wanted to verify it was working as intended)?

If you are using the "Write Proxy Server File..." function then the file is only created if the Proxy Server information is available (entered in the "Connect To Internet" dialog).

We also have to learn now how to use this new function effectively.

Again thanks for your prompt responses! I really like Setup Builder. It is a Godsend!

Thank you for your kind words :)

Friedrich

dewhead
06-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Friedrich et al,

I just wanted to let you know that thanks to SetupBuilder and the wonderful support in this forum I now have my project fully functional. I also just paid for and downloaded the licensed version. It's an outstanding product at an outstanding price! Thanks again for all the help!

Linney Dew

linder
06-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Linney,

Wow, thanks again so much for your kind words and for licensing SetupBuilder!!!!

Friedrich