PDA

View Full Version : Setup error

pradeepa
07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Friedrich,
When I choose either Windows 32/64-bit (Hybrid) or Windows 64-bit as the installer type, the setup gives an error after I click on the next button on the welcome dialog screen. After I acknowledge the error message the installer proceeds to the next dialog screen i.e., license agreement.

The error message I am getting is: The specified module could not be found. (msls31.dll). I have also attached a screenshot of the error message. I researched on the internet but could not find enough information to be able to troubleshoot it myself. Any idea why I am getting that error message? I am using Vista 64-bit computer.

BTW, if I choose Windows 32-bit as the installer type I don't get that error message.

Thanks,
pradeep

linder
07-10-2008, 01:11 AM
pradeep,

This has nothing to do with SetupBuilder at all. This is not even a SetupBuilder (error) dialog!

msls31.dll is the library file used by Internet Explorer and Word applications to provide Unicode support.

Friedrich

pradeepa
07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
That is exactly what I found out in that the msls32.dll is used by IE and office for unicode support but I am getting this error when I run a setup file created with Windows 32/64-bit (Hybrid) or Windows 64-bit as the installer type. Can you please check to see if you get the same error when you run a setup created with those installer types. I will also create a sample project and send to you for your reference.

Thanks,
pradeep

linder
07-11-2008, 01:03 AM
pradeep,

We have eight 64-bit Windows machines (XP x64, Vista 64 and Windows Server 2008 64-bit).

All Hybrid 32/64 and 64-bit installations work without any problem.

Friedrich

pradeepa
07-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Friedrich,
After running several tests I observed a pattern of this error. This error is occurring when I create a .rtf file for license agreement in word 2007 for use on the license agreement dialog, use 64-bit or hybrid installer type and run the installation on a 64-bit computer. But if I copy the msls31.dll file to the folder where setup file is located then the error is not occurring. It appears that the installation needs msls31.dll file and it is unable to find it. The strange thing is that I have this file in my system32 directory and I don't understand why the installation is not able to find it.

The error does not occur if I create the same .rtf file in wordpad.

When I run the same installation on XP 32-bit it works just fine.

Since no one else mentioned this error before I guess it is just my computer that is giving this error.

In a nutshell, a .rtf file created in word 2007 and used in a 64-bit installer type is giving me msls31.dll not found error on a 64-bit OS.

Workaround: Create .rtf files in wordpad or use a text file.

Hope my information helps others if they encounter this error.

Thanks,
pradeep

linder
07-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi pradeep,

Thanks for sharing this information.

BTW, the installer does not need this file. Because this error message box does not come from the installer, I assume the core Windows RTF control displays it.

Friedrich

pradeepa
07-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Friedrich,
Understood. Initially I thought the installer was doing it but after you replied to my 1st post and based on my subsequent tests and observations I am convinced that the installer is not doing it and that it must be the OS or some settings my computer.

Thanks,
pradeep

Modest Automatisering BV
04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
We have exactly the same problem.

Generating a 32 bit install gives no issues on either machine type.

Generating a hybrid install gives the issue on x64 machines. it gives this very same errormessage.

We need the license agreement to be RTF because important parts are highlighted.

What's a workaround here?

Just not use hybrid installs? :-)

Mark

linder
04-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Mark,

This has nothing to do with the installer at all. Please read the above thread. You have some elements in your .rtf that are not compatible with the Windows core RTF control. Fix this in your .rtf and you are done.

Friedrich

Modest Automatisering BV
04-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks Friedrich,

How can I analyze what specific parts in the RTF aren't supported by the Windows core RTF control?

Mark

linder
04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Mark,

I don't know the answer to this question. Only Microsoft can answer it <g>. But I assume you are using Word 2007 or better to generate your .rtf. Open your .rtf or create it in wordpad and you should be able to fix this.

Friedrich

Modest Automatisering BV
04-08-2010, 08:45 AM
RIIIIIIIGHT!

Word and Wordpad handle RTF differently quite apparently!

I've read the same RTF in wordpad, saved it there again, same result.

Changed wordwrap setting in Wordpad to no wordwrap instead of wordwrap to ruler and all problems are gone!

Thanks for the hint, no thanks to M$.

Mark

linder
04-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Mark,

:)

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing this information.

Friedrich