PDA

View Full Version : SetupCapture

Brian Cook
07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Greetings.

Wise has a feature called "SetupCapture". Basically, Wise builds an install script from what another setup program does.

Does SetupBuilder have a similar feature?

Thanks,
Brian

linder
07-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Brian,

SetupBuilder Dev has a Dynamic Scan feature which allows you to monitor your system as you execute an application, automatically determining which 32-bit DLLs and OCXs (dependency files) are used by the application.

Friedrich

Brian Cook
07-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Friedrich,

Thanks for the reply. I found the "Dynamic Scan". Unfortunately, it isn't what I'm looking for.

SetupCapture monitors everything an (install) application *does* to computer (directories created, Registry keys changed and created, files installed, etcetera) not what the application loads. Wise then creates a script to mimic what the monitored application had done to the computer.

Brian

CMS Software
07-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Installshield also has the InstallShield Application Repackager which does the same thing. It is disk and time intensive because they have to build a log file containing the entire registry, all folder and file names from ALL your hard disks, contents of all INI files, etc then run the old install and then compare the current state with the one in the log file. From the differences they build an install.

You can allow your Wise install capture to build a Wise install and then use that install to build your SetupBuilder install. It's an extra step, but it beats not having the feature available at all. I still sometimes use the InstallShield Repackager to do the same thing.

-O. D. Williams-