PDA

View Full Version : Set Compiler Variable [OUTPUTDIR] problem

CMS Software
07-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I have a line in one of my scripts that checks a compiler variable and then set the [OUTPUTDIR] variable accordingly. It never works. I tried moving the line to the earliest possible location in the script, just under the heading
! Important: Initialize Default install folder and program group variables.

The actual line that does not work is:

#Set Compiler Variable [OUTPUTDIR] = "C:\CMSSR507\SglUsrUP"

In the Visualizer the [OUTPUTDIR] is set to C:\CMSSR507\Inst

The Compiler places the output files (Web Install) in the C:\CMSSR507\Inst folder pointed to in the visualizer, not in the C:\CMSSR507\SglUsrUP folder that was specified in the "Set Compiler Variable" command.

What am I doing wrong?

-O. D.-

linder
07-20-2008, 02:12 AM
Hello,

The [OUTPUTDIR] compiler variable is set before the first script is compiled. The same is true for [EXENAME]. You have to use a "Release" (see Releases Visualizer) to compile the same script to different output locations.

Does this help?

Friedrich

CMS Software
07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Aha! Now it works. This leads to a new question. We sell Single User, Network 5 User and Network 10 user versions of our software. We would like to make sure the user is running the correct updateinstaller (usually a web install package). If they upgrade from Single User to network user, that is a new install and we expect the new version to be different from the old version.

Here's the question. Would you recommend that each of the three versions listed above get their own unique ProductGUID? Perhaps their own UpGradeGUID also?

We had originally planned to only give unique GUIDs to different products so that MyProg1.exe gets one GUID for Single User, Network, Demo, etc. and OtherProg2.exe gets a different GUID for all its releases.

I am now wondering if each version (release) should get its own GUID and what the advantages would be?

-O. D.-
"That's very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes."

linder
07-21-2008, 10:41 AM
It depends on your system.

Is there a difference between the Single User, Network 5 User and Network 10 user edition? I assume, the main executable is different and the license key that identifies the edition?

Friedrich

CMS Software
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Yes, the EXE files are different. Sometimes the differences are minor, but they are still there.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

-O. D.-

CMS Software
07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Hello,

In answer to your question, "I assume, the main executable is different and the license key that identifies the edition?
".

Yes, they are different, so do you recommend unique Product/Upgrade GUIDs or identical GUIDs?

I have searched the documentation and can't find any explanation or suggestions on when to use unique GUIDs and when to share GUIDs.

Can you give us a guidline as to when unique GUIDs are a good idea and when shared GUIDs are a good idea?

-O. D.-

linder
07-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Hello,

Because your Single User and Network X editions have different (binary) files, it's similar to different products. In this case I would suggest to use different GUIDs here.

The Product GUID must be unique across all Windows software because it is used to uniquely identify your product on Windows systems, to power web update, and to store the uninstallation information.

Friedrich