PDA

View Full Version : Progress Dialog: Display

smh_2007
07-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi To All,

As part of my Setup Builder project I have certain dependencies (VC++ Redistributable package, etc) that I need to install if it's not already on the client machine. I have a requirement that the dependencies must be downloaded from our website. This is working well, thank you Friedrich.

My issue is with providing a progress bar.

If I may give an example.

The client machine needs VC++ Redistributable. I used the Download File (HTTP). I would like to provide a progress bar for this download since it may take a couple of minutes to download. How can I do this? I did take notice to the Progress Dialog: Display function. When I set this, however, it changed the Progress verbage when the actual install was running. I was expecting to see Installing [ProductName], however, I saw Downloading VC++. What am I doing wrong? It appears that the Progress Dialog verbage is global.

Thanks for all the help,

Sharon

linder
07-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Sharon,

I would suggest to do this when the "Display Setup Progress Dialog" is active. It will then display a 2nd progress bar with the download progress.

Does this help?

Friedrich

smh_2007
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I was hoping to do this up in the Initialize Setup section of the script. Something like:

If %VCDOWNLOAD% = "Y" Then
'Set a progress dialog here
Download File from website\downloads\dependencies\vcredist_x86.exe
'Close progress dialog here
Run Program vcredist_x86.exe
End

If %DOTNET% = "Y"
'Set a progress dialog here
Download File from website\downloads\dependencies\dotnetfx.exe
'Close progress dialog here
Run Program dotnetfx.exe

End

The progress dialog isn't initiated yet in the scenario. I just felt like if there were a bunch of dependencies to install, I would like to know that before copying over all the application files.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help,

Sharon

linder
07-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Sharon,

What about the following:

If %VCDOWNLOAD% = "Y" Then
Display Setup Progress Dialog
Download File from website\downloads\dependencies\vcredist_x86.exe
Close Setup Progress Dialog
Run Program vcredist_x86.exe
End

In other words, just initialize your own Progress Dialog.

What do you think?

Friedrich

smh_2007
07-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Hi Friedich,

I tried that but, when I changed the verbage in the function, it seemed to keep the new verbage throughout the install. For example, I added the Progress Dialog: Display function and changed the verbage in the Text Resources tab. In the Title text box instead of "Installing" I entered "Downloading". I also changed the other default values in Heading, Sub-Heading and Text. I then, as you suggested, had the function to download and then I had the function to close the dialog. I thought the install was working great until the install hit the line that comes with all scripts - Display Setup Progress Dialog. Then instead of seeing Installing [ProductName], I saw Downloading VC++ Redistributable. It seems that by changing the verbage in the Progress Dialog: Display function, I affected the values globally. I was thinking that this was a individual instance of the function and I could just keep using it and changing values. Do you get the same behavior?

Thanks,

Sharon

linder
07-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Sharon,

Expected behavior (in all development languages <g>).

For example, the following text resource:

#DLG_INSTALL_HEADING# = Installing [PRODUCTNAME]

If you change this and you use that text resource in other dialogs, then you'll always see the latest (text) modification.

You have to create new text resources ;)

#MY_DOWNLOAD_HEADING# = Downloading YadaYada...

and use that new text resource.

If you don't have to support multiple languages (English, Italian, German, etc.) then you can also enter plain text instead of using text resources in your progress dialog.

Does this help?

Friedrich

smh_2007
07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Hi Friedrich,

Thanks for the advice, I sincerely appreciate your efforts. As always, you come through!!!

Sharon

linder
07-29-2008, 07:55 AM
You are very welcome, Sharon :)

BTW, we'll make a new SetupBuilder 6.9 release available very soon.

Friedrich