PDA

View Full Version : VC++ Redistributable Error

smh_2007
10-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi To All,

I am having trouble on a Windows Server 2003 machine installing the VC++ Redistributable package. I create a log file (xxx.log) during the install process. If a part of the install fails I write the error code to the log file. This is where I found the error code 128 when trying to install VC++ redist. Has anyone experienced this. I am not using the VC++ Redist that is installed by checking the selection on the Core Prerequisites screen. I have a bunch of dependencies that need to be tested for so I decided to create a separate wrapper install that copies the dependencies and the application install file to one folder. This is the first time I have heard of this issue, we have installed this app on many machines.

Thanks,

Sharon

linder
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Sharon,

Do you have access to that Windows Server 2003 machine? If this is the case, try to run the vcredist redistributable directly (do not add it to any installer) and see if it reports any error message.

Please keep us posted.

Friedrich

smh_2007
10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi Friedrich,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I did have them try to install it manually and it doesn't work that way either. I am just trying to figure out what error code 128 (%_SB_ERRORCODE% returned 128) means, I was hoping that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Sharon

linder
10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Sharon,

This error code comes directly from the redistributable. I Googled, but did not find anything related to a vcredist "error 128" :(

Friedrich

smh_2007
10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Friedrich,

I just want to make sure I understand. If in the install, when running the Run Program function the %_SB_ERRORCODE% throws a 128 error it's really the program you are trying to run throwing the error? I use Run Program vcredist_x86.exe.

Thanks for the insight,

Sharon

smh_2007
10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Friedrich,

One more thing to consider, this is being installed on a 64bit machine.

Thanks,

Sharon

linder
10-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Sharon,

Yes, if you have the "Wait for Program" option enabled, then %_SB_ERRORCODE% holds the "system error code". This error code comes directly from the application (or Windows if file is not found, process cannot be started, etc.).

Friedrich