PDA

View Full Version : Transfering Resource Group/Identifiers

smh_2007
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi To All,

I am working on an install for a new release of our software. The way that the source code is structured is based on the version number. So for example if we have release 1.0, the source, including the installs would be found in C:\Source\Version10. Then if we have release 2.0 the source for that version, along with the installs, would be C:\Source\Version20. In version 1.0 I added a resource group and added numerous identifiers. Once I opened the installs in version 2.0 (which are now in a different folder), the resource group I added was missing. I see it in the 1.0 version of my installs. I would like to copy all the identifiers I added to the new version of the installs. Is there a way to do it. When I right-click on my resource group I do see an export item but, it is greyed out.

Thanks for the help,

Sharon

linder
10-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Sharon,

I hope I understood your question correctly. We are doing the following in one of the examples (Xtreme SuitePro ActiveX v12 redistributable)

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9633

The compiler variable [XTREME_SUITEPRO_SOURCE] defines the Source Folder for the files. So we only have to modify one compiler variable to compile from a completely different source folder (see attached screenshot).

Does this help?

Friedrich

smh_2007
10-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Friedrich,

As always, thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

I don't know that this is what I'm looking for because I do need to keep the identifiers separate between versions.

This is what I did and would like to be able to do:

Under Setup Appearance I navigated to Text and Messages -> Dialog Text and then right clicked to create a new Resource Group. I then right clicked the new Resource Group and clicked Add Identifier. I was hoping to learn where the system keeps the Resource Groups (if it is in a file) so that I don't have to re-add the same identifiers in the new directory structure.

Thanks,

Sharon

linder
10-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Sharon,

You only need the "Text and Messages" to store text strings (e.g. displayed in your dialogs and message boxes). Text resources can be used to support multiple-languages from within the same setup.exe.

As I understand it, you would like to make your project "variable" or "portable". For example, to change the source folders from Version 1 to Version 2 to include a different set of files located in a different folder (tree). Compiler Variables are perfect to handle this (similar to the example in my previous post).

You can even display the values of such Compiler Variables in dialogs and message boxes. For example, you have a Compiler Variable named [MY_VERSION] set to 1.0. Then you use this compiler variable in a text resource and the text resource in a dialog. The dialog displays 1.0. If you change the Compiler Variable to 2.0 and recompile, the same dialog displays 2.0.

What do you think?

Friedrich

smh_2007
10-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks once again Friedrich. You always come through. I'll give it a "whirl".

Sharon