PDA

View Full Version : SetupBuilder Crash at the End of Install

Esperient
10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi,

The latest version of SetupBuilder is crashing at the end of the install. I will attach the crash information here. Can someone offer a fix?

Product: Developer Edition - Installation Authoring and Configuration Management System
Version: 6.9.2309

The actual install is here:
http://www.esperient.com/publicdownloads/beta/SetupEspCreator.exe

Thanks,
Mike

Carl
10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
The latest version of SetupBuilder is crashing at the end of the install. I will attach the crash information here. Can someone offer a fix?

Maybe something you are doing in your script?

Carl

Carl
10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Worked fine here on my XP SP2 machine. It installed all files, installed DirectX and finished without a GPF.

Carl

Esperient
10-03-2008, 06:24 PM
My mistake, I should have been clear this crash only happens with the Web Installer, the full (single .EXE) version works fine. I also posted the wrong link, here's the correct link to the Web installer:

http://www.esperient.com/publicdownloads/webinstall/SetupEspCreator.exe

Consittering it only happens with the Web installer, I don't think its any scripting, we really don't have any custom script in the installer anyway. Just what can be done with the SB dialogs and settings.

Mike

linder
10-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Mike,

We downloaded the full install and executed it on several machines. It installed all files, started the DirectX redistributable and terminated normally.

Then we downloaded the web install and executed it several times. It downloaded and installed all files, started the DirectX redistributable and resulted in a ntdll.dll crash 2 out of 5 runs. The problem is that the crash is in the Windows ntdll.dll and not in the setup.exe :( So it's very very hard to find out what exactly the problem is. We tried to reproduce this with our test web installs (in the range of 100MB to 400MB) but it worked fine :-(

We'll review the source codes...

What happens if you close the progress dialog (using Progress Dialog: Close function) before you start the DirectX installer?

Friedrich

linder
10-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Mike,

We have debugged your installer and checked our source codes. It's possible that this is caused by a threading issue. We noticed that (in your web installation) the script object was closed 0.015 seconds before the scripting engine terminated. So in theory, it's possible that there was still a scripting process active when the script closed. Both tasks are executed on different threads.

We have added "thread synchronizing" to this function. If you are interested, we can send you a test release on Monday to see if this helps.

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder
Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

Esperient
10-04-2008, 02:56 PM
we can send you a test release on Monday to see if this helps.

That would be great. Thanks for your help!

Mike

linder
10-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Mike,

FYI: Download information sent to your private email.

Friedrich

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910

Esperient
10-10-2008, 12:45 PM
This issue has been fixed! I want to publicly thank Friedrich for all his hard work on this issue. There were many PMs on this topic from all times of the day and night. Friedrich’s support and help on this issue was awesome.

If you are looking for an installer, I recommend Lindersoft, they really care about their customers.

Thanks Again,
Mike
Esperient Corporation
www.esperient.com

linder
10-12-2008, 05:31 AM
Thank you so much for your kind words, Mike!

--
Friedrich Linder
Lindersoft
www.lindersoft.com
+1.954.252.3910