Like many people here, I am struggling with the concepts and practicalities of the updating process. And like many, I am impressed with the effort that goes to helping those in need.

I too want to create an updater but when I ran the wizard to Perform the Auto Update Scan, the populated script wouldn't compile and gave me errors about Unknown Compiler Variables (these are present in my main script--in the Project Details > FTP Server section--but as these fields are blank in the updater script, I don't know where they come from). In any case, I got pissed off from wasting more time on this and wondered about another approach... (I wondered if this is because the Auto Update Scan is supposed to run on the directories that contain the actual, pre-installer files [myfile.exe] or on the directories that contain the final, post-installer files [Setup_My_App.0001]. Some clarity on this would be useful.

In any case, if I create an installer with all my version 1.2 files in it, with the instruction on each file for it to be installed only when the CRC values don't match with any existing ones, from perhaps a pre-existing 1.1 install, is it not the case that the new installer will perform an "update". And if this is so, if the Web Deploy option is used, is the installer clever enough not to download a cluster file if the CRC's of its contents match those of the installed files.

Your prompt response would be appreciated.

Regards,
Alex